Assistant Professor of Environmental Science & Data Analytics
TENURE-TRACK, FULL-TIME, ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & DATA ANALYTICS
The Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences of Cleveland State University invites applicants for a tenure track assistant professor position in Environmental Science and Data Analytics. The appointment will begin August 16, 2021.
Primary duties include conducting research and teaching in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs in Environmental Science. Excellent opportunities for collaboration and outreach beyond the department exist within the intercollege Center for Research on the Urban Environment (https://www.csuohio.edu/crue) and the new Center for Applied Data Analysis and Modeling (https://academic.csuohio.edu/ryan_s/ADAM/adam.html). CSU also anticipates hiring up to three other faculty (in 2021) with expertise in applied statistics, data analytics, and/or bioinformatics. Regionally, there are diverse options for collaboration with a variety of other institutions that conduct research and manage natural resources, including the Holden Arboretum, Cleveland Botanical Garden, Cleveland Museum of Natural History, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Cleveland Metroparks, Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District, Cleveland Water Alliance, and NASA Glenn Research Center, as well as with nearby universities (e.g., Case Western Reserve University and Kent State University). Salary is commensurate with qualifications and competitive with other research-intensive universities. Substantial startup funds are available, proportional to potential for acquiring external funding.
Minimum qualifications include:
• a Ph.D. in environmental science, earth science, ecology, natural resource management, or a related discipline
• two years of postdoctoral research experience, or equivalent, accumulated by the hiring date (August, 2021)
• experience with diverse forms of environmental data and tools for data analysis, visualization and modeling, including spatial data and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• intent and potential to teach courses on applications of remote sensing and GIS for ecology, environmental science, natural resource management, and/or other applied sciences
Preferred qualifications include:
• more than two years of experience as a postdoctoral researcher, or equivalent in environmental science, earth science, ecology, natural resource management, or a related discipline.
• competence using freeware for data management, analysis, and visualization (e.g., R, QGIS, Python, mySQL), or other widely utilized tools for data analytics (e.g., MATLAB, ArcGIS)
• skill with emerging and widely applicable tools (e.g., remote sensing, machine learning)
• intent and potential to acquire external funding (e.g., from NSF, USDA, EPA, and/or NIEHS)
• authorship of peer-reviewed publications in high-quality journals
• substantial teaching experience (e.g., as an instructor of an undergraduate course)
• intent and potential to help develop one or more courses for a new ‘data analytics’ track for environmental science students (BS & MS), or for other interdisciplinary degree programs
• expertise that is complementary to other CSU faculty and research partners in the region (e.g., urban ecosystems, global change, macroecology, environmental pollution, restoration ecology, hydrology, biogeochemistry, natural resource management, population ecology)
• intent and potential to positively engage diverse students within CSU’s academic community
CSU is a young (est. in 1964), rapidly evolving university with a growing research profile. Among public universities that fulfill a critical dual mission, providing upward mobility and conducting impactful research, CSU is ranked 18th in the U.S., first in Ohio Our downtown campus and Cleveland itself have been noted for their substantial revitalization. The region offers diverse recreational opportunities and cultural activities, and incredibly affordable housing in a variety of neighborhoods within a short drive or ride on a bike, bus, or train. For more information, see:
Review of applications will begin on February 8th, 2021 and preference will be given to candidates with applications that are complete by that date. A complete application requires submission of a cover letter, CV, research statement, teaching statement, an unofficial transcript and/or a summary of graduate coursework, and receipt of letters from three references. Successful candidates will use these application materials to collectively demonstrate the extent to which they meet the minimum and preferred qualifications. Cleveland State University is an urban campus serving a racially, culturally, and economically diverse student body. Diversity is extremely important to CSU. In your application, you must explain your experience serving diverse students and how you will make a positive contribution to CSU’s diverse community. For applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience, note how your work will contribute to CSU’s commitment to diversity and mission as an urban serving university.
For details on the application process, see http://hrjobs.csuohio.edu/postings/13513. Inquiries about the job, application process, university, or region may be sent to the search committee chair, Dr. Kevin Mueller (email@example.com)
It is the policy of Cleveland State University to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Hire is contingent upon the maintenance of existing levels of funding from the State of Ohio. Offer of employment is contingent on satisfactory completion of the University’s verification of credentials (including evidence of a Ph.D.) and other information required by law and/or University policies or practices, including but not limited to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Cleveland
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Cleveland
- Other Science & Technology Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Cleveland