Director of Communication
Woodbury University invites applications for a Director of Communications. Reporting to the Dean of the School of Architecture the Director of Communications is responsible for developing and implementing a communication plan for the School of Architecture and formulating the school’s messages for use in communicating with the media, the general public (including prospective students, alumni, employers and, donors), the architecture community, and the Woodbury community (students, faculty, staff and Board members). The Communication Director will help determine institutional positioning and will act in an editorial capacity to direct the preparation of significant publications, both printed and electronic.
This position qualifies University sponsored employee benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, annual vacation, sick, and paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and conditions of each plan and program.
- Communications Plan (25%)
- Coordinate annual communications calendar – including recruiting cycle, lecture/event series, etc.
- Work with Admissions to identify and communicate Open House and other recruiting-related events
- Coordinate communication to prospective students from Admissions (sent via Hobson’s). DoC to work with chairs to develop content.
- Coordinate ad campaign to maximize exposure for SoA to prospective students, ie. AIAS, Archinect, ACSA, etc.
- Communicate with other schools, ie. postcards, trifolds, letters and other collaterals
- Alumni outreach – news items, coordinate with Advancement
- Content collection and distribution (25%)
- Hire and coordinate student to assist with marketing
(paid hourly, 5-6 hours / week)
- Update SoA news and event items on website
- Send email blasts through Constant Contact and to campus community
- Produce and send monthly SoA newsletter (w/ student support)
- Help promote Lecture series + events
- Coordinate and distribute lecture series templates
- Ongoing archive – documentation of student, alumni and faculty work and images of SoA Activities
- SoA website (10%)
- Update SoA website pages
- Update LA + SD faculty web pages, photos, descriptions
- Update content, information and webpages for SoA, ACE, JSI, WUHO, etc.
- Social media plan and strategy (20%)
- Coordinate posts to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, etc.
- Coordinate content and SoA student social media ambassadors
- Collaterals (5%)
- Develop SoA sub-brand – logo, color, font, etc. for all marketing materials
- Project manage Degree Project / Thesis student work book
- Coordinate video campaigns
- Oversee Budget - $60,000 operational budget + $10,000 Places Journal
- Meetings (15%)
- Attend weekly meetings with SoA Dean’s Office
- Communicate regularly with SoA chairs, coordinators, faculty, students, staff
- Assist with hand-over to new DoC
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college/university.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous extensive experience in a management-level position in a public relations or marketing field.
- Ability to provide the institution with key benchmarks for success in communications and marketing.
- Excellent written and communications skills. Professional knowledge of the press.
- Experience in and overseeing print production and in website management.
- Excellent ability to conceptualize, develop and execute communications (video, printed and electronic) and to maximize their visual impact.
- Excellent interpersonal and team leadership skills.
- Experience in art, design or education preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Close vision, hearing/listening, and clear speech.
- Manual hand/fingers dexterity.
- Combination of sedentary work, kneeling, stooping, bending, sitting, squatting, standing, etc.
- Works with/around and has verbal and face-to-face contact with others.
- Ability to listen and communicate verbally.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Required sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping.
- Ability to lift and carry 15-20 pounds (supplies, etc.)
- Complex reading and writing ability.
- Analyzing, perception/comprehension and judgment/decision-making ability.
- Simple to complex mathematical ability.
APPLICATION: Qualified persons should send a current resume, names and addresses of at least three references, and a cover letter.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs. All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability, skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic information, membership or non-membership in any lawful organization, or any other protected status.