Dean of Libraries and Carol Grotnes Belk Distinguished Professor for Library and Information
Position title: Dean of Libraries and Carol Grotnes Belk Distinguished Professor for Library and Information Studies
The University seeks an experienced, energetic, and strategically minded library leader and engaging library advocate. Successful candidates will have demonstrated interests in and commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion; the values and skills to support collaborative and collegial governance within and beyond the Libraries; and the vision and abilities to balance traditional library values and services with the fast-moving innovations and transformations of university libraries in the 21st century. The Dean leads a large and highly accomplished library faculty and staff committed to service, teaching, and scholarship, and serves the broader university and community as a member of the Dean’s Council and Provost’s Council.
The Belk Library and Information Commons, which opened in 2005, is distinctive for its beautiful design and popularity with students. The Libraries at Appalachian—Belk Library and the Nicholas Erneston Music Library—play central roles in our campus and distance-learning communities, seeking to broaden students’ learning experiences; encourage and support student and faculty research, scholarship, and creative activity at all levels; deepen campus engagement with the community and world; and sustain and improve an effective organization to meet current and future information needs.
The Libraries feature outstanding physical and e-resource collections, including nearly 1 million volumes, a large Instructional Materials Center, and special collections such as the W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Stock Car Racing Collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts Collections, and University Archives and Records. The Libraries also offer an information and digital literacy program that is fully integrated into the university curriculum at all levels, and one-on-one research consultations for students and faculty. Technology is one of the keys to the Libraries, with hundreds of desktop and laptop computers for campus use, multiple e-learning projects and initiatives, and a state-of-the-art Digital Media Studio.
The Libraries employ 84 faculty and staff, including 28 tenured or tenure-track faculty members and 48 professional staff members. The Libraries are also one of the largest employers of students on campus, with currently 98 student employees.
Additional information about the Library can be found at https://library.appstate.edu/
Required Qualifications for this position are as follows:
- An ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science or its international equivalent.
- Significant and progressive academic library management and leadership experience.
- A demonstrated and steadfast interest in and commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- A record of scholarly activity meeting requirements for the rank of full professor.
Preferred Qualifications for this position are as follows:
- An additional advanced degree.
- A collaborative, consultative, and transparent management style.
- Proven ability to lead faculty and staff collaboratively and effectively.
- Skill and experience as a communicator and partnership builder with all audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex budgets.
- Successful fundraising, programming, and outreach experience.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Boone
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Boone
- Library & Information Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Boone
- Administrative Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Boone
- Deans Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Boone