Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
The LPN will provide nursing care to the students of Alfred University under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. That care may include the following, although not limited to performing routine medical office procedures and testing, administration of medications, scheduling appointments, student education, referrals, and follow-up care.
- Graduate of an accredited LPN program.
- A minimum of 2 years of office and hospital experience.
- A current state nursing license
- Current CPR certification.
- Strong interest in adolescent and young adult, clinical and technical nursing practice.
- Ability to assist with teaching and developing health education programs.
- A cooperative and flexible approach to the operational aspects of an ambulatory health center.
- Good communication skills.
- Assesses basic student needs, recognizes the need for and performs routine office procedures, in accordance with standing policies and procedures.
- Consult with or provides referral to a higher level provider (RN, NP, PA or MD) when indicated.
- Assists the Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant with diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
- Identifies student medical needs, health education needs, provides instructions, or timely and appropriate referrals.
- Documents observations, care given, and student outcomes in the medical record accurately and legibly.
- Administer treatments (nebulizers) according to policy and procedure.
- Applies various apparatus and uses all equipment safety.
- Performs confidential STI testing and counseling.
- Administers medication under the supervision of a Nurse Practitioner or Physician’s Assistant. Responsible for knowing drug classifications, actions, usual doses, and side effects.
- Demonstrates competency in venipuncture and preparing/labeling lab studies for transport to lab.
- Reports any information that the student gives her/him.
- Recognizes and performs completely in emergency situation.
- Follow Infection control Policies and Procedures.
- Perform EKGs.
- Communicates effectively with the health care team to improve student health care.
- Demonstrates student advocacy, assuring student right to privacy, safety, and confidentiality.
- Demonstrates understanding of emergency procedures, fire drills, evacuation procedures, and internal/external disaster plans and procedures.
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.