Department: Custodial Services
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 12/18/2020
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS022P
Pay Rate: $14.70/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Cleaner is responsible for maintaining cleanliness levels in campus facilities providing an environment conducive for teaching, learning and living.
- General cleaning, including but not limited to: restrooms,
offices, classrooms, mpr rooms, parlors, kitchens, student rooms,
laundry rooms, locker and shower rooms.
- Responsible for all basic cleaning in and around residences and
- Clean floors and rooms. Including but not limited to: dust
mopping, damp mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, picking up
objects off the floor and cleaning glass and windows.
- Cleans restrooms, including restocking dispensers, emptying
trash, cleaning and sanitizing fixtures, cleaning mirrors, cleaning
partitions, doors and walls, sweeping and mopping floors and
cleaning toilets and urinals.
- Vacuum, empty trash and replace liners.
- Prepares rooms for Commencement and Reunion
- Notify supervisor(s) of occurring deficiencies and needs for
- Set up, stock and maintain cleaning equipment, supplies and
- Monitor and maintain sanitation and organization of assigned
- Use small lightweight floor machines, wet/dry vacuums and other
- Carry out heavy cleaning tasks and special projects.
- Follow all health and safety regulations.
- Interact with co-workers and a variety of people and
departments in a professional, courteous manner in diversified
- Performs additional duties as needed and assigned.
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- One (1) year experience in the cleaning, maintenance and care
of facilities in a similar environment.
- Ability to use small lightweight floor machines, wet/dry
vacuums & other cleaning equipment.
- Ability to move, position, transport and place objects up to
and including 50 pounds is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including
understanding, speaking, reading and writing is
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact information. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1694.