University Code 13221 University Title Communications Specialist 1 University Job Family Communications ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Communications Specialist Position Number 587790 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Division of Strategic Enrollment Management Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of SEMSS Communications, the Admissions Marketing and Communications Specialist is responsible for the marketing and recruitment communications function for the Office of Admissions and plays a critical role in meeting recruitment and enrollment goals.
This position is a key member of a collaborative creative marketing communications team, as well as of the Office of Admissions recruitment team. This position will help to create, manage and implement a robust, yet flexible, communications and marketing plan. The position should have a keen eye for detail, be skilled at editing and proofreading content, and have a knack for research and a love of learning. The position will utilize multimedia methods and platforms, including social media and CRM technology. The person in this role will be a collaborator and a team player, working closely with the Office of Admissions leadership team as part of the SEMSS Communications team.
The ideal candidate will exhibit a talent for critical thinking and have excellent written and oral communication skills. The person in this role must be self-motivated, interested in learning about and engaging with new ideas and concepts, and will understand multichannel communications methods. This person will embrace engaging with diverse audiences and working on an urban university campus.
The position is responsible for managing recruitment communications in the Customer Relationship Management ( CRM ) tool. Under the leadership of the Director of SEMSS Communications and the admissions recruitment team, this position creates and implements communication plans, writes and updates web content for admissions web pages, develops written content for various communications and marketing projects both within teams and independently.
This position is simultaneously focused on the big picture and incredibly detail-oriented and implementation focused. The person in this role needs to be flexible in their ability to be creative, innovative, and design-oriented, as well as analytical, data-driven, results-oriented.
The position is responsible for knowing the university’s brand identity and web standards, including any compliance rules, and will ensure that university branding, compliance and marketing standards are met and followed consistently.
The position also is responsible for understanding VCU’s admission policies, procedures, and requirements, and then communicating them to prospective students as they evaluate their higher-education options and navigate the application process. This includes writing content and building email campaigns to encourage application completion and that convey application deadlines at various points of the admission lifecycle. This position will also develop written content for event invitations. This position requires a strong customer-service orientation with email, telephone, and in-person, and involvement in recruitment efforts and events.
Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Coordinate all admissions marketing and communications (e.g., print media, social media, digital marketing, direct mail, email, blog posts, website, call and text campaigns, video and photography, and other forms of communication) and create new materials consistent with the VCU’s brand and marketing strategy.
● Review, update, proofread and edit content for all print publications, and work with designers and colleagues in the development of revised and new print materials.
● Coordinate and create content for social media outreach and digital marketing.
● Collaborate with colleagues, graphic designers, photographers, videographers, and student employees to meet enrollment marketing and communication goals.
● Oversee and provide work direction to a team of hourly and student workers as well as the Event and Publications Coordinator who oversees a team of hourly and student workers.
● Assist in the development and implementation of an annual comprehensive communications and marketing plan that supports recruitment and enrollment goals in collaboration with the Office of Admissions leadership team.
● Review internal communications data and conduct market research to develop effective and proactive strategies that adjust to shifting trends, leverage existing technologies, and engage emerging technologies to meet enrollment goals.
● Fact check, maintain and update the website and develop new content as needed.
● Manage and implement CRM communications and marketing strategies for the Office of Admissions.
● Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, marketing, fine arts, liberal arts, journalism, public relations, media, or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Exemplary communication skills with an ability to express ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
● Experience writing and creating content across multimedia platforms.
● Experience with researching and fact checking.
● Experience with proofreading and editing.
● Experience with working in a CRM system, preferably Slate.
● Experience with the technical qualities, language, and culture of major social media platforms (e.g., Instagram, Twitter, Facebook).
● Knowledge of and an ability to monitor the efficacy of emerging technologies and marketing trends that will engage and recruit high school students and college transfers.
● Detail-oriented, organized, and able to juggle many different projects simultaneously with consistent accuracy, follow-through, and timely completion of projects.
● Strong analytical skills. Ability to think and plan strategically, and to be a solution-oriented problem solver.
● Ability to work independently and in teams. Collaborative work style that fosters and maintains strong relationships with campus partners and external partners.
● Ability to take initiative and complete projects and/or assignments with minimal supervision; self-motivated and able to set priorities.
● Ability to manage competing priorities effectively.
● Ability to function effectively under pressure, capable of making decisions and responding to challenges quickly and with ease.
● Articulate and professional.
● Able to meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment.
● Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
● Demonstrated experience fostering a diverse and inclusive environment and an expressed commitment to do so while at VCU .
● Strong interpersonal skills to serve individuals and groups from a wide array of backgrounds, identities, ages, life experiences, and communication styles.
● Ability to recognize and protect confidential information in accordance with FERPA and exercise judgment, tact, and diplomacy in handling sensitive information and situations.
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
● Professional experience in marketing or communications, especially in higher education.
● Prior admissions or enrollment management experience.
● Experience developing and implementing a strategic communications plan.
● Experience successfully managing and delivering social media and digital marketing content.
● Knowledge of higher education market trends and best practices in admissions marketing and communication.
● An understanding of design techniques (e.g., graphic design, web design, videography, photography).
● Experience managing communications through a CRM system.
● Experience working independently in Slate.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Up to $45,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 01/01/2021 Posting will close on or before 01/17/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102048 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select your highest level of education achieved.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Some graduate coursework
- Master's Degree
- Some doctoral coursework
- Doctoral Degree
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in English, communications,
marketing, fine arts, liberal arts, journalism, public relations,
media, or a related field?
- * Do you have professional experience in marketing or
communications in a higher education setting?
- * Do you have experience posting to social media in a
professional business setting?
- * Do you have experience working with a CRM?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application