Director of Research and Innovation (Digital Library Services)
As a full-time professional position, the Director is primarily responsible for the operations and personnel of the digital library and performs professional and administrative duties in planning, developing, implementing, and assessing the activities of any technical resources, software, and services therein. The Director collaborates with faculty, digital media, and instructional design to incorporate the technological advances presented by the continuously evolving area of digital publishing. The Director is accountable for activities and operating results in these same areas.
The Director is responsible for developing and maintaining The College’s digital-content library, research and library services, and assisting in resource procurement and course maintenance. This position has a direct effect on revenue from sales of educational materials produced by faculty and keeps The College at the forefront of academic technology through continuous development of course design and delivery.
- Provides direction and vision for the evolving library services role in supporting faculty development, research, and content generation; and supports The College’s Centers for Excellence.
- Provides library services independently and performs complex, highly specialized technical tasks to facilitate and support digital-library site operations and academic programs.
- The Director oversees the daily operations of the library and supports library policies and administrative functions.
- Assists faculty and students in finding appropriate resources and/or permissions and responds to questions related to policies and procedures.
- Maintains monthly and annual statistical reports.
- Required to have full proficiency in all technical aspects of work assignments including knowledge of library collection organization and classification scheme and the ability to interpret bibliographic records; ability to resolve highly complex problems related to the use of bibliographic records; ability to create and edit problematic bibliographic entries for the library online automated system using accepted library standards and procedures
- Must have a strong understanding of how to access electronic resources and assist students, faculty, and staff in the use of such resources
- The Director is responsible for assisting with the maintenance of library technology platforms (including a CMS and OER) and for ensuring timely and reliable access to holdings via the library’s discovery tools.
- In collaboration with faculty and staff, the Director supports academic research for students and faculty by participating in instruction and reference, the creation of LibGuides, and collection development activities.
- Supervises manages and develops full-time staff within the digital publishing department. Champions continuous development of the department’s knowledge of digital publishing and online learning space with a specific focus on understanding target audiences (students).
- Determines that all decisions regarding digital publishing are in accordance with the standards of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and adhere to The College’s Vision, Mission, and Core Values.
- Creates and revises courses in accordance with program goals, learning design framework, academic best practices, needs of adult learners, and discipline-specific standards.
- Interprets student/client feedback, data, and internal sources in order to understand the
- Generates ideas and suggestions toward making changes to products or creating new products.
Temporarily Remote due to Covid-19
- MS in Library and Information Science from ALA-accredited program required; concentration in Digital Librarianship or additional master’s level work in Information Systems, Computer Science, or other Informatics-related discipline preferred.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in an academic library setting, two of which are supervisory.
- Basic knowledge of national standards and guidelines pertaining to libraries, including working knowledge of the institution's standards pertaining to copyright and intellectual property protection and the ability to source and apply such policies and standards to avoid potential violations.
- Full proficiency in the use of automated library system(s) and subsystem(s) pertaining to functional areas.
- Familiarity with online database research for purposes of instruction for students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and research skills to address standard and non-standard work problems.
- Demonstrated ability to compile and present information in an organized manner.
- Ability to edit problematic bibliographic entries for an online automated system.
- Advanced knowledge about library standards and policies.
- Demonstrated ability in the area of collection development.
- Experience in recommending and implementing changes in library policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated facility in planning and conducting training programs or workshops, both internally and externally.
- Serves on standing committees.
- Effective communication and interpretive skills in resolving patron problems and complaints, assessing patron information needs, and orienting and guiding patrons in the use of library resources.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in preparing internal library reports and written and visual presentations on library resources; demonstrated ease in presenting them to library patrons, including students.
- Proven understanding of learning philosophy, objectives, trends, techniques, principles, and practices; ability to deliver high-quality results in the area of adult learning and positive organizational change.
The American College is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. We administer all phases of employment activity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital, disability, military, or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in King of Prussia
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in King of Prussia
- English & Literature Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in King of Prussia
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in King of Prussia
- Library & Information Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in King of Prussia