Senior or Staff Auditor
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT ̶ serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech is a comprehensive and progressive organization with a decentralized management environment to promote innovation and accountability at all levels of the organization. The Virginia Tech Office of Audit, Risk, and Compliance (OARC) protects the university by independently and objectively identifying business risks and connects with key leaders and stakeholders to evaluate risk-mitigation strategies.
Position Summary (Responsibilities):
This position, reporting to the Director of Internal Audit, is responsible for both participating as a team member and conducting financial, compliance, and operational engagements. The incumbent is expected to fulfill their responsibilities with limited supervision while maintaining effective communication with audit leadership. The ability to maintain high ethical standards, exhibit professional demeanor, demonstrate sound judgment, and function as a well-integrated team member will be critical for success. The position requires problem-solving abilities along with organizational, planning, and self-management skills. The incumbent will be relied upon to develop effective and creative ways to assess university operations, communicate the results of their assessments (including the writing of reports), and establish long-term rapport with university stakeholders. Decisions made may impact the effectiveness and efficiency of administrative and business processes of the university; therefore, the incumbent must be able to apply both strong analytical skills and professional discretion in formulating recommendations for improvement.
Incumbents at the Senior Auditor level are expected to have experience in risk-based auditing that conforms to professional standards and have obtained a relevant professional certification. Incumbents at the Staff Auditor level are expected to have exposure to audit work conforming to professional standards. Seniority (staff/senior) will be established based on relevant experience and other factors.
• Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, finance, business information technology, data analysis, or related field.
• Demonstrated use of effective problem-solving and time management skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal communication skills (both in writing and verbally).
• Ability to prepare professional documentation and correspondence.
• Demonstrated professionalism in working with confidential and sensitive matters with the utmost discretion and tact.
• Proficiency in current office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software, and relational databases.
• Periodic travel and overtime may be required to complete work assignments or attend training.
• Hired applicant must successfully pass a background check.
Additional Required Qualifications for Senior Auditor:
• Current relevant professional licensure, such as a CPA, CIA, or CISA.
• Experience as a professional auditor.
• Demonstrated analytical skills, including the ability to collect and analyze information, draw complex conclusions, and develop recommendations.
• Advanced degree in a related field.
• Significant audit experience in higher education or a not-for-profit organization.
• Previous experience with business processes of large, decentralized organizations.
• Previous supervisory experience in an auditing environment.
• In-depth understanding of key applicable federal, state, and local legislation.
January 29, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Elizabeth Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: December 24, 2020
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Financial Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg