Department Chair – Computer Science
Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are encouraged.
Department Chair – Computer Science
Job Description Summary
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Department of Computer Science at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for Department Chair with an appointment at either the Associate Professor or Professor level. This individual must have broad teaching capacity that supports the undergraduate degrees in the department and must have a demonstrated research track record aligned with the overall departmental mission. The appointment at the Associate Professor or Professor level will begin on August 15, 2021. Department Chair appointments are for a term of three years, are renewable, and department chairs also hold academic faculty appointments.
The Computer Science department is home to the largest undergraduate program in the University which delivers an ABET accredited degree in Computer Science with specialization areas in Game Development, Cyber Security, Software Engineering, and Autonomous Systems. Successful applicants must be capable of teaching a range of classes in the curriculum, at all levels, and ideally would contribute to instruction focused in at least one of the following areas: graphical interactive programs, Cyber-Security, Autonomous Systems, Software Engineering, and Distributed/parallel computing. In addition, applicants are expected to have developed a research expertise that aligns with the teaching and research mission of the department.
This position is part of a strategic expansion of the department that will add approximately eight faculty to the current thirteen faculty members that comprise the department faculty. The department also delivers a Masters of Science degree in Computer Science and the expansion of the faculty will be critical to growing the size of this graduate program.
Ideally, applicants will provide evidence of prior success in teaching (both undergraduate and graduate) and research with an established record of independent research funding, publication history in high quality, peer reviewed journals, and supervision of graduate and/or undergraduate students.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field
- Six years of experience as a faculty member or as an independent researcher.
DESIRED / PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Demonstrated involvement in department level or institution level policy creation, management, or curriculum development.
- Direct experience as a department chair or associate chair of a department.
- Direct experience with accreditation activity including both ABET and regional accreditation.
- Curriculum development and significant teaching experience at all collegiate levels.
- Funded research experience as a Principal Investigator.
- Demonstrated ability to identify project opportunities and independently develop proposals that are subsequently funded.
- Experience with students’ academic mentoring and as a thesis advisor.
- Experience in program assessment and execution of a continuous improvement plan.
- Active participation in professional activities and organizations.
- Prior professional US experience with progressive responsibility.
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University opened for classes in 2014-15 and is the twelfth university in the Florida State University System. The University was created as an exclusively STEM-focused public university that offers high-value undergraduate and graduate degrees and that has intentional industry connections with a focus on economic development of the high-tech I-4 corridor. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive STEM workforce, Florida Polytechnic University blends traditional subject matter mastery with problem solving and laboratory experiences to provide students with learning opportunities applicable to both the workplace and a career of lifelong learning. The University delivers its courses in small class sizes, emphasizes a positive student to faculty experience, and is dedicated to both its teaching and research mission.
Faculty are employed at Florida Poly via renewable, term defined appointments, codified in a collective bargaining agreement, that substantially mirrors tenure systems with reappointment and progression in rank upon completion of a significant review of accomplishments.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High-Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing by approximately 10% over the past year, Lakeland and Central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format during your application process:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Lakeland
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Lakeland
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Lakeland
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Lakeland
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Lakeland