Dean, School of Business
Dean, School of Business
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Elizabethtown College in their search for Dean of the School of Business.
Elizabethtown College seeks a dynamic leader and ‘builder’ to serve as their Dean in the new School of Business. This position is ideal for an outward facing, strategic leader with a proven history of successful growth initiatives, strong partnership and collaboration skills, and results-focused leadership. The successful candidate will coordinate the development and delivery of innovative, high-quality academic programs that meet the demands of today’s workforce and students and enhance the visibility and reputation of the existing business programs.
The successful candidate brings a proven track record of working successfully across disciplines, community engagement, and excellent fundraising and economic development skills. The location of Elizabethtown College provides excellent access to motivated community members, businesses as well as highly engaged alumni. Another asset includes the connection to the High Center, one of the largest and oldest business centers in the country serving over 130 member companies throughout South Central Pennsylvania and beyond.
The Dean reports directly to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and provides strong leadership and direction in matters relating to curriculum and program development; accreditation, assessment and evaluation; recruitment and retention of faculty, staff and students; community engagement; and grant-seeking and fundraising.
This is a full-time 12-month position with a starting date by July 2021.
- Exhibit a unit and institutional perspective in dealing with various constituencies.
- Administer and implement institutional and School of Business policies and regulations.
- Ensure degree requirements are appropriate and supervise curriculum development.
- Maintain and comply with ACBSP accreditation requirements.
- Manage majors, minors, and certificates offerings within the Business School.
- Schedule course offerings, teaching assignments, student advising loads, and committee/club advising assignments.
- Develop and implement Standard Performance Expectations (SPEs) for all teaching faculty within the School of Business.
- Evaluate faculty performance and advise Provost and SVPAA of faculty line recommendations. This includes evaluation of faculty teaching, service and scholarly activity; performance counseling in cases of unsatisfactory performance; encouragement of professional development including developing grant proposals; recommendations for sabbatical and other leaves of absence, tenure and promotion.
- Supervise School of Business facilities, equipment and support staff.
- Set budget priorities, develop and administer the budget, supervise library acquisitions, approve work orders, textbooks, and general requisitions.
- Develop corporate relationships and partnerships
- Work with SVPAA and Institutional Advancement to lead/contribute to fundraising efforts. Cultivate donors to advance the initiatives of the School
- Essential interpersonal and communication skills to foster a highly functioning team within the unit and collaborate with other units on campus to create interdisciplinary educational opportunities.
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with the School for Continuing and Professional Studies to build programs for adult, graduate and online education.
- Work with the Vice President of Enrollment Management to recruit and retain students in the business program. Attend Accepted Student Days and Open House Days. In conjunction with the Admissions Office, create a system of communication with current and prospective business students.
- Terminal degree in a field represented in the School (Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, International Business, Marketing, and Finance). Candidates with a master’s degree coupled with strong professional experience may also be considered.
- Experience teaching at the college level
- Appreciation and commitment to liberal learning and the benefits of a liberal arts experience
- Ability to develop and articulate a clear vision
- Demonstrated leadership style that fosters team-building
- Strong interpersonal skills including excellent oral and written communication abilities
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Degree from an ACBSP or AACSB accredited business program
- Experience in development/fundraising activities
ABOUT ELIZABETHTOWN COLLEGE:
Elizabethtown College, with 1,688 undergraduates is an independent, residential, coeducational college in south central Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The College, established by the Church of the Brethren in 1899, maintains 7 schools offering a variety of programs at numerous award levels. The core curriculum emphasizes the arts, humanities and sciences.
Elizabethtown College ranks among the country’s highest value-added higher education institutions, according to a new study by the Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program. Elizabethtown College ranks 42 out of 108 in Pennsylvania schools and 113 (out of 223) among National Liberal Arts Colleges in the U.S. News & World Report's 2020 "National Liberal Arts Colleges" rankings and 303 out of 797 national entries in the Wall Street Journal 2021 College Rankings.
The School of Business offers programs in Accounting, Business Administration, Business Analytics, Economics, Finance, Financial Economics, International Business and Marketing. The Accounting, Business Administration and International Business programs are ACBSP accredited.
LIVING IN THE AREA:
Elizabethtown, PA is located in the south central region of the state, in historic Lancaster County and a short drive from the state capital, Harrisburg. The cost of living is 8.7% lower than the national average.
Over 12,000 people reside in town and during the academic year, more than 1,900 Elizabethtown College students also call the quaint and friendly town home. Elizabethtown features small shops and chain stores, eateries and coffee shops, and parks and sport fields for outdoor enthusiasts.
Elizabethtown is a short drive from Hershey, Harrisburg, the city of Lancaster and PA Dutch Country; each of these neighboring cities and rural areas provide plenty of recreational, educational and entertainment opportunities. And, with an Amtrak station in town, you are only a quick train ride from major urban centers Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Baltimore or New York City.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. Please do not email applications. To be viewed by the firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjywpb48
Inquiries and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to Jennifer Muller, Managing Partner with Academic Career & Executive Search: Jennifer@ACESrch.com.
As an equal opportunity employer, Elizabethtown College is seeking candidates who will enhance the diversity of its faculty, staff, and administration.