Assistant Professor - English (ESL)
The Department of English at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez seeks applicants for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, starting July 1, 2021.
Ph.D. in English as a Second Language (ESL), Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Education, Applied Linguistics, Second Language Studies, or a related field, at the start of the appointment. Preferred areas of expertise include: TESOL teaching experience and research centered in TESOL and Applied Linguistics. Teaching and research experience, and publications are expected. Knowledge of Spanish desirable. Candidates should demonstrate adequate skills in educational technologies in the teaching-learning process.
Responsibilities include teaching second language learners of English; therefore candidates should be English/Spanish bilingual. Candidates will teach ESL and TESOL at various levels. The selected candidate should be able to conduct research and publish in the areas of specialization; to develop proposals seeking external funding; to teach basic, intermediate and advanced courses in the area of specialization; to participate actively in departmental committees, projects, and investigation at the undergraduate and graduate level.
This appointment involves an academic task equivalent to 12 credit hours, which are distributed between teaching, research and institutional services for 37.5 hours a week. This distribution of hours may be adjusted to the department’s needs, demands and availability of the faculty:
- 12 hours weekly direct contact with students.
- 15 hours of academic activities including research, class preparation, exam grading, and office work.
- 6 hours of individual attention to your students.
- 4 ½ hours to attend departmental, faculty and committee meetings, development of new courses, organization of short courses and seminars, and participation and filing of research proposals with institutional funds or external funds and publication of articles.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume, official academic transcripts of all degrees, three (3) letters of recommendation, evidence of quality of teaching, and a writing sample to:
Dr. Rosa I. Roman-Perez,
Department of English
University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus
Call Box 9000
Mayagüez P.R. 00681-9000
Telephone (787) 832-4040 Ext. 3847, 3064
Letters or documents sent by e-mail must be directed to email@example.com
To learn more about the Department of English at UPRM, please visit: https://www.uprm.edu/english/.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER –M/F/V/I
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Puerto Rico
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Puerto Rico
- English & Literature Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Puerto Rico
- English as a Second Language Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Puerto Rico