University of Idaho
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $16.44 per hour or higher depending on education and experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The Research Specialist will assist the Principal Investigator as part of the barley agronomy research and extension program, and will conduct laboratory, greenhouse, and field experiments focused on plant-soil-water-atmosphere interactions. The position will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the barley agronomy lab.
Duty activities include planting, maintaining, and harvesting field plots and greenhouse experiments; evaluating field and greenhouse-grown experiments; preparing seed for planting; post-harvest seed processing; data entry, management and analysis using statistical software; preparing research reports; and presenting research results at local, regional, and national meetings. Regional travel will be required to maintain and evaluate field trials. The Research Specialist will also contribute to the team effort by contributing ideas for the general plan of the research and extension program, preparing written and oral reports, contributing to refereed journal articles, training and supervision of hourly employees, assisting graduate students with projects, maintaining stocks of supplies, photographing experiments, and performing miscellaneous clerical duties.
• Bachelor of Science degree in agronomy, biology, soil science, plant science, chemistry or a related field.
• Master’s degree in agricultural or physical or life science or 2+ years’ experience in agronomic research, small field plot trials, or laboratory research experiments.
• Experience operating farm or small-plot research equipment including towing and backing trailers, calibration of pesticide application equipment, and knowledge of the culture and use of cereal grains
• Experience with soil-plant-water-gas sampling, preparation, and analytical analyses using various instrumentation including the ability to operate, maintain, calibrate, troubleshoot, and resolve basic problems with instruments and equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to: work on own initiative, alone, and cooperatively in small groups; plan projects and tasks to achieve goals of overall program; work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision; identify and solve problems; prioritize tasks and manage own and employees’ time; design and interpret results from experiments; effectively supervise employees; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work cooperatively with faculty and staff from other programs.
• Demonstrated skills of effective interpersonal communication and experience using computer programs such as Microsoft Office, SAS or R.
• Hold an Idaho limited Pesticide Applicator’s License or be able to obtain one.
• Willingness to travel within southern and eastern Idaho and neighboring regions as well as working extra hours when required.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
• Must be able to lift, carry, and/or otherwise move heavy materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
Posting Number: SP002673P
Posting Date: 12/22/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
Applications received by January 17, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
IMPORTANT: To be considered, your “Letter of Qualification” must address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent education and/or experience. In addition, to improve your ranking during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of Qualification.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable and can be uploaded into your application as Document #3.
The two letters of reference should be sent directly from the individuals providing the reference to the following address:
Ms. Kristi Copeland
Aberdeen R&E Center
University of Idaho
1693 S 2700 W
Aberdeen, ID 83210
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.