ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE
Position Title: College Bursar
Search # BUS105
About Albertus Magnus College:
Albertus Magnus College thrives as a diverse and dynamic institution serving 1,500 students in three distinct degree programs: traditional undergraduate, accelerated adult undergraduate and master's degrees. Through its liberal arts and professional educational offerings and its long- standing excellence in student-centered, values-based education, Albertus Magnus College is a shining example of modern day education. The Albertus campus provides a distinctive environment for students, faculty and staff. The College's 50-acre, park-like campus, within walking distance to downtown New Haven, is located in one of the city's most distinguished residential neighborhoods, Prospect Hill, which features both early 20th century mansions and modern architectural gems. Numerous academic, student services, and athletic facilities grace the campus, which serve as an attraction to prospective students. The Mission Statement of Albertus Magnus College is to provide men and women with an education that promotes the search for truth in all its dimensions and is practical in its application.
Under the direction of the Controller, the Bursar is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the student accounts receivable and collections, including all tuition and fees for all student programs. The Bursar will configure, maintain, and supervise the Ellucian Colleague billing process to ensure student accounts are properly maintained; payment plans are arranged; and payments are collected in a timely manner. In the performance of this role, the Bursar must adhere to and maintain accuracy in reporting and compliance with College, Federal and State regulations, including Title IV financial aid, FERPA, and 1098T tax filings, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The Bursar will implement and maintain policies and procedures related to student financial services and work closely with colleagues throughout the College to ensure the highest level of customer service for our students and positive financial outcomes for the College.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The position requires a hands-on manager with exceptional customer service skills. In addition to the duties below, the Bursar is responsible for development and implementation of new initiatives to enhance operations.
• Oversee billing system configuration and maintenance.
• Oversee the billing, collection, and account research for each semester and mod in accordance with College policies.
o Supervise the processes for direct payments, set up of third party payment plans and payments; loan payments; federal, state and local scholarships; deposits; and financial aid disbursements.
o Maintain third party collection process.
o Investigate non-payment of accounts and recommend placement with collection agency.
o Manage and reconcile Perkins loan account.
o Reconcile student health insurance with outside third party.
o Coordinate residential, food service and other billing needs with Office of Student Life.
o Reconcile state, federal and internal financial aid disbursements with the Financial Aid Office.
• Maintain best practices for efficient and customer friendly billing and payment processes.
o Research and apply technology resources to improve billing and payment systems.
o Train and supervise Student Account Representatives.
• Supervise customer service functions of the Business Office, including general Business Office procedures for processing and safeguarding miscellaneous cash receipts, posting to the general ledger, and customer service.
• Prepare and distributes 1098T tax forms and submits data to the IRS.
• Participate, including presenting, at prospective and new student events and representing the various departments as needed.
• Minimum 5-year experience in progressively responsible roles in accounting and receivables management in a higher education environment.
• Comprehensive understanding of federal and state collection policies. Ability to multi-task, work under stress, and understand complexities of federal and state regulations as they relate to financial aid disbursements.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with attention to detail.
• Proficient in the use of productivity tools like editor, spreadsheets, and database applications; e.g., MS Word, Excel, Access, Google docs, and experience with Ellucian Colleague helpful.
• Strong interpersonal skills; team player with positive attitude.
• Proficient in communicating with a diverse student body as well as parents, administration, faculty and staff.
• Integrity, punctuality, dependability, reliability, flexibility.
Bachelor's Degree in finance, accounting or a related field required or Bachelor's Degree with demonstrated, directly related work experience
• Master's degree in accounting or finance or a related field.
• Previous experience as Bursar.
• Professional experience in student billing or accounting related area in a supervisory, administrative, or managerial capacity
• Professional financial certification such as CPA, CFA, CIA or other accounting certification.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
• Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends, at the start of the semester and for periodic information sessions with prospective students and their families.
• Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three professional references as one document electronically to email@example.com. Please reference search # in subject line.
Albertus Magnus College has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity throughout the College community. Albertus Magnus College is an equal opportunity employer and invites all qualified applicants to consider this opportunity and to apply.