Assistant Professor of Bilingual Education and English as a Second Language
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction at Texas Tech University invites applications from innovative and thoughtful colleagues to join our faculty at the rank of an Assistant Professor in Bilingual Education and ESL. This full-time, tenure-track position with a nine-month academic year appointment will start on September 1, 2021.
Texas Tech University is the flagship of the Texas Tech University System and a Carnegie Tier One research university. The current enrollment is nearly 40,000 students. As a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution, Texas Tech University seeks to foster an environment that promotes inclusive access and attracts committed and high-achieving students. We are dedicated to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty to educate and empower our diverse student body while also serving an extremely vast and diverse state with an increasingly culturally pluralistic population. The university has also been awarded the Paul Simon Awards for Comprehensive Internationalization by NAFSA: Association of International Educators twice in the last four years.
Lubbock, Texas (Pop. 250,000) is an outstanding place to live and work. This growing city, with its college-town feel, has a remarkable history and a vital future. Lubbock is the commercial, agricultural, medical, financial and cultural hub of the South Plains. The City of Lubbock and Texas Tech University enjoy an exceptionally cooperative and supportive relationship extending from community health to cotton crop production, from wind energy to education. Lubbock is nationally recognized as an outstanding place to raise a family, and offers ease of access for commuting across town, or travel across the nation. Depending on one’s personal preferences, there are plenty of recreational opportunities and a wide variety of restaurants and shopping, community events and cultural activities including breweries and wine bars, a vibrant live-music scene, along with more traditional performing arts.
The Texas Tech University College of Education, with over 2,000 students, offers a nationally recognized undergraduate teacher preparation program, and 21 graduate degrees that prepare students for professional or academic positions in education. The department and college place a focus on strategic outreach and engaged scholarship. We collaborate with local, regional, state, national and global partners to address complex problems facing individuals and communities. In recognition of its extraordinary community outreach efforts, the college received a 2018 W.K. Kellogg Foundation Community Engagement Scholarship Award from the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU).
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers a competitive graduate program that is growing both nationally and internationally. We are a diverse community of scholars, researchers, and educators with a commitment to excellence in education and serving EC-12 public schools and beyond.
Our Bilingual Education and ESL program plays an important role in Texas Tech’s strategic area of education and empowerment of our diverse student body, and needs faculty who will contribute to the advancement of this goal. We are seeking highly qualified applicants who have expertise in Bilingual Education and ESL with research emphases in foundations, social justice, sociopolitical policies, and advocacy. Applicants should be committed to collaborating with faculty across the disciplines to engage in rigorous and theoretically grounded research approaches for understanding and improving the educational experiences of bilingual students and English learners in the United States. This aligns with the mission of Texas Tech University as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Candidates from underrepresented groups in higher education faculty with experience working in culturally and linguistically diverse settings are strongly encouraged to apply. In addition, candidates who have very strong records of scholarship supported by extramural funding and who have the proven capacity or clear potential to bring externally sponsored research to Texas Tech University are encouraged to apply. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Responsibilities of the successful candidate:
- Teach courses in foundations and contemporary issues in the field of Bilingual Education and ESL including social justice, sociopolitical policies, and advocacy, as well as other courses as assigned by the program online and face-to-face.
- Help the department build a strong Bilingual Education and ESL program to be commensurate with the University’s mission as a Hispanic Serving Institution.
- Serve on the Master’s Comprehensive Exam Committee and chair doctoral students’ dissertations as well as serve as a committee member for master’s and doctoral students.
- Collaborate and cooperate with colleagues to fulfill the needs of the department’s and college’s strategic goals.
- Establish and maintain a rigorous research agenda.
- Actively participate in service for the department, college, and university committees. Service duties include program-building, as well as commitment to extra-curricular activities.
- Seek extramural funding.
- Develop and foster partnerships with school districts, other colleges, and universities for engaged scholarship.
- Participate in local, state, national, and international education organizations.
- An earned doctorate in Bilingual Education or a closely related field
- Commitment to high standards in teaching and assessment
- Experience in teaching Bilingual Education and ESL courses at the university level
- Commitment to collaborating with program faculty to meet program needs
- Ability to contribute to a positive work environment in the department, college, and university
- Evidence of an emerging research agenda in Bilingual Education or ESL
- Potential to seek extramural grant funding
- K-12 teaching experience in dual language programs
- Native or near native fluency in Spanish and ability to teach courses in Spanish
- Evidence of maintaining a rigorous research agenda in Bilingual Education or ESL
- Experience in advising doctoral students
- Demonstrated participation in professional organizations at local, state, national and international levels
- Experience in teaching Bilingual Education and ESL courses at the graduate level
- Demonstrated and ongoing commitment to serving diverse populations
Interested candidates must submit application materials online at the TTU Personnel Employment website: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25898&siteid=5637#jobDetails=549660_5637
The following documents must be submitted by February 21, 2021:
- Letter of application
- Current curriculum vitae
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion statement
- Unofficial graduate transcripts
- One publication
- List of three references with complete addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses
For more information about the position, please contact the search committee Chair, Dr. Comfort Pratt, at email@example.com
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The University welcomes applications from minorities, women, veterans, persons with disability and dual-career couples. Texas Tech University recently surpassed the Hispanic student population threshold necessary for designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). To learn more about the university’s commitment to diversity, please visit The Office of Institutional Diversity.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Part Time jobs in Lubbock
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Part Time jobs in Lubbock
- Curriculum & Instruction Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Part Time jobs in Lubbock
- Other Education Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Part Time jobs in Lubbock