Research Scientist 20-033
Research Scientist #20-033
We are seeking a full time Research Scientist to study the design and synthesis of nanoparticle optical biosensors for biomedical applications. Emphasis in early cancer detection and the study of differentiation of embryonic stem cells, neuron-neuron communication, and the study of effects of nanomaterials on live cells and zebrafish embryonic development. This position is available immediately for participation in an interdisciplinary research program (www.odu.edu/~xhxu) directed by Dr. X. Nancy Xu at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, or related area, and have strong background in nanomaterial synthesis and characterization. A minimum of three years of relevant experience beyond the Ph.D is required. As a member of our research group, one will have full access to modern chemistry and biological chemistry facilities and have a variety of significant opportunities to engage forefront chemical, biochemical and biomedical research. Applicants with a strong commitment to research and demonstrated excellence in research at the bio/nano interdisciplinary field are strongly encouraged to apply. To apply please visit ODU Research Foundation website at http://researchfoundation.odu.edu and include cover letter, CV, list of publications, and names and addresses or emails of three references, and Research Statement (2-3 pages).
- Participate in Nanomaterial synthesis and characterization. Investigate the Design of Single nanoparticle optical biosensors
- Maintain mammalian cell cultures and prepare cell samples as required for research project
- Imaging of single live cells and single nanoparticles
- Conduct novel research activities including but not limited to design and characterization of nanoparticle optical biosensors for biomedical applications. Emphasis in earlier cancer detection and the study of differentiation of embryonic stem cells, and study on effects of nanomaterials on live cells and zebrafish embryonic development.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply visit ODU Research Foundation http://www.researchfoundation.odu.edu/ Click on the employment tab and follow the link for position #20-033. Please provide a cover letter and three (3) references with your application. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. AA/EOE/M/F/Disability/VETS/Drug Fre