Associate Dean for Equity and Engagement
Associate Dean for Equity and Engagement
We are searching for a visionary leader to enhance equity and engagement in the College of Engineering (COE) at Iowa State University. The College of Engineering is recognized as an international leader in engineering education and research. To help grow and expand success, the college is inviting applications for a newly created position of Associate Dean for Equity and Engagement. This position reflects the college’s commitment toward achieving its strategic objective of fostering an inclusive culture for our college community through effective programming, engagement and accountability.
This position will report to the College of Engineering Dean, serve on the college leadership team and be responsible for: the vision, leadership and oversight of the diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and programs at all levels; and shared leadership and oversight of recruitment and retention strategies and activities. This full time, 9 or 12 month position will be appointed for 5 years and can be renewed at the discretion of the Dean.
A critical focus of this position is ensuring access, support and equity for populations with marginalized identities: ethnicity and race (African American, Asian, Pacific Islander, Desi American, Latinx, Native American/Alaskan Native and/or Multiracial), women, veterans and military-affiliated personnel, first-generation, international, persons with disabilities, and the LGBTQIA+ community.
While this position is new with ample room for growth and opportunities, it will also leverage a strong commitment to equity at the college and university. The successful candidate will serve as a faculty member within an engineering academic department at Iowa State and opportunities may also exist for research and teaching. The new Associate Dean will also strategically manage staff, budgets and information resources.
- Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in a STEM or STEM education discipline commensurate for faculty rank in the College of Engineering.
- 5 or more years of experience working within a higher education environment.
- Recognized professional standing in diversity, equity, and inclusion as evidenced by a sustained record of accomplishment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated success in creating a collegial academic community that celebrates multiple viewpoints.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends, issues, current research and effective practices in broadening participation, including current efforts in a variety of STEM disciplines to strengthen and transform the higher education environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the success of marginalized groups in engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals
- Demonstrated ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically
Please apply online at https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/IowaStateJobs/job/Ames-IA/Associate-Dean-for-Equity-and-Engagement_R3746
The search committee will start reviewing candidates February 1, 2021. However, the committee will continue to review candidates until the position is filled. The following items are required to apply for this position:
- Letter of application/cover letter (maximum two pages)
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Minimum of 3 professional references including name, contact information, nature of relationship and number of years known
- Separate detailed statements on each of the following (maximum of one page each):
- Statement on leadership experience.
- Statement on diversity, equity and inclusion – include your previous diversity, equity and inclusion experience, accomplishments and vision.
- Statement on recruitment, outreach and retention– include your previous experience with recruiting/outreach with prospective college students.
Applications that do not include the above 6 documents (letter, resume/CV, references and 3 separate statements) will not be considered.
For more information contact: If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.