Pre-Doctoral Fellow - Management & Marketing
William Paterson University invites applications for the appointment of a Fellow in the Cotsakos College of Business, Department of Management, Marketing, and Professional Sales with a focus in the area of Human Resource Management. This two-year teaching fellowship is designed to support the academic career launch of candidates from underrepresented backgrounds at the institutional or disciplinary level who are pursuing a doctoral degree in Human Resource Management or a related field.
The Cotsakos College of Business will support the Fellow through a structured program of focused research, experiential pedagogy, and an introduction to university and professional service.
William Paterson University's inaugural pre-doctoral fellowship program will support five non-tenure track fellowship positions across the University. The goals of the program are to (a) support the academic career success of selected candidates, (b) advance the University's commitment to building a diverse campus community, and (c) expand the University's pool of highly qualified candidates for faculty positions. Fellows will gain supported teaching experience in a highly diverse campus, be provided individualized mentorship, and receive the same level of scholarship support and course release as tenure-track faculty members. A recommendation to convert the fellowship to a tenure-track faculty line may be considered after the end of the first year if the candidate has completed the terminal degree and the department and Fellow agree.
Join an energetic campus community and distinguished business faculty where excellence is reflected in mission, diversity and student success. The AACSB accredited Cotsakos College of Business strives to increase student success with an enhanced focus on technology, globalization, professional enrichment, and stakeholder engagement.
The College continuously works to elevate the quality of its programs and develop new offerings to meet the changing needs of students as they navigate emerging professional fields of study. The College offers baccalaureate degrees in the functional business disciplines of Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning, Global Business, Marketing, Management, and Professional Sales. In addition, the College offers the MBA degree with concentrations in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, and Marketing, and specialized MS degrees in Applied Business Analytics, Finance and Financial Services, and Professional Sales.
In response to an increasing market demand, an increasing number of students are seeking to obtain Human Resource credentials. The College has added an MBA concentration in HRM, a specialized HRM track in the BS Management program, and a graduate certificate in HRM. These targeted program enhancements have resulted in an explosive demand, which the College is endeavoring to meet.
Timeline for the fall 2021 fellowship cohort:
- Thursday, January 14, 2021, 1:00-3:30 Eastern Standard Time: National webinar exploring the experiences of underrepresented faculty. Effective strategies for recruiting, retaining, and supporting faculty from underrepresented backgrounds will be discussed (1:00pm – 2:30pm). Information about this pre-doctoral fellowship program will follow from 2:30pm - 3:30. Registration link: https://wpunj.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fNkzOCdSSYmuitnlpZSi6w
- Monday, February 8, 2021: Applications due.
- Thursday-Friday, April 8-9, 2021: Campus visit and interviews. Details to follow.
Fellowship offers are anticipated by the end of April 2021 for appointments beginning August 2021.
Fellowship duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with faculty through tailored mentorship.
- Teach three courses each semester, including team teaching, with an option for paid summer teaching.
- Instruct online and/or on-campus; undergraduate and graduate MBA.
- Participate in assessment through the Assurance of Learning program.
- Contribute to student success through curriculum development and excellent pedagogy.
Research and scholarship
- Collaborate with faculty through tailored mentorship.
- Develop a sustainable program of scholarship.
- Disseminate findings via scholarly publication and presentation.
- Collaborate with faculty through tailored mentorship to participate in department, College, and University service opportunities, including support of on-campus student organizations such as the Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) Student Chapter.
- ABD from an accredited college or university, with an emphasis in Human Resource Management or a related area.
- Evidence or promise of research and achievement in scholarly activity.
- Can incorporate concepts of diversity, equity and inclusion perspective to the field of Human Resource Management.
- ABD from an AACSB accredited Business College or school.
- HRM experience in a supervisory capacity.
- SHRM, PHR, or SPHR certification.
- Experience and excellence in teaching as evidenced by peer and student evaluations.
- Exposure to curriculum development for online and hybrid formats.
Personal attributes and traits:
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a collaborative environment by freely offering expertise and being open to meaningful feedback.
- Commitment to supporting student success.
- Capable of engaging and contributing in order to make a positive impact.
- Ability to navigate the complexities of a multi-faceted organization with competing wants and needs.
Invitation to apply:
Please click here to apply for the position.
Interested candidates will be prompted to:
- Complete an application
- Submit a cover letter & CV
- Provide names/contacts of three professional references.
Submission of all documents listed above is required for consideration.
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. General questions related to this application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About William Paterson:
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls over 9,000 students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The University is situated on a beautiful, 380-acre suburban campus in Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.
William Paterson University is an equal opportunity employer that actively values and supports diversity among faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.