The Division of Gastroenterology at Carilion Clinic is looking for an experienced Research Associate to work on translational research projects in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) led by the PI – Dr Dario Sorrentino - examining several aspects of prelinical Crohn’s disease including capsule endoscopy screening of individuals at risk, non invasive marker discovery, the role of microbiome in disease etiology, pathogenesis and early diagnosis. In addition, other ongoing projects will examine the role of stool markers of inflammation in evaluating response to treatment and disease monitoring in IBD patients. Typically, the Research Associate will support the PI and the co-investigators in the performance of various patient recruitment and technical activities as well as sample collection, storage and multiple laboratory analyses (including microbial analyses). This role will report directly to the PI and serve as part of the research team working collaboratively on several funded grants. Research support responsibilities are at a medium to advanced academic level.
• MS in biology, biochemistry or related field, and/or the equivalent/superior level of training and experience.
• Experience in clinical investigator-initiated studies (patient screening, recruitment, sample collection and storage).
• Experience with biospecimen handling and processing.
• Intermediate to advanced level laboratory skills (sample processing/analysis, multiple cell and microbial laboratory techniques).
• Demonstrated data entry experience.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and experience with data management.
• Ability to adapt to a fast-paced research/academic environment with multiple and variable duties.
• Proficiency with scientific writing and excellent oral communication skills – previous publications and active participation/organization of scientific meetings a plus.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
• Assessing research risks and potential corrective action
• Project management
• Experience with data analysis software (R, Matlab, SPSS, etc.)
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Pamela Stell at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: December 18, 2020