Chair, Department of Anesthesiology
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F66030 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Professor Working Title Chair, Department of Anesthesiology School/Unit School of Medicine Department Anesthesiology Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the Department of Anesthesiology at the Virginia Commonwealth University is three-fold:
- Provide exceptional education to students, residents, fellows, and the wider community of medical professionals.
- Improve the lives of adults with medical disorders through compassionate, high-quality medical care and patient education.
- Advance the knowledge of medical disorders by actively developing innovative treatments through basic science and clinical research.
The members of the Department of Anesthesiology (including teaching and research faculty, residents and nurse anesthetists) are committed to delivering the best possible anesthetic and critical care to our patients, to advancing the knowledge of the specialty and to educating the next generation of clinicians.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The VCU School of Medicine welcomes applications for the position of Chair in the Department of Anesthesiology, which has a key leadership role in both the School of Medicine and VCU Medical Center. The incoming Chair will serve as the clinical leader of the department as well as the academic Chair at the School of Medicine and should be a physician leader with clear and unique vision, enthusiasm and experience. With overall responsibility for operations, finances and strategy in Anesthesiology, this position will oversee the outstanding clinical programs and support transformative research. The incumbent will lead and ensure the excellence of educational, scientific and clinical programs within the Department, the College and the health system.
This is a full-time position, where rank and tenure eligibility will be commensurate with experience.
Advance the education, research, and clinical missions of the academic medical center in all areas of medicine in collaboration with the leadership of VCU . Facilitate and support the training of the next generation of scientists and physicians who will further advance anesthesiology practice and science. Champion improvements in education of medical students and residents in the Department of Anesthesiology.
Define and lead the Department’s research strategy by expanding clinical, translational and basic research. Support principal investigators and other faculty within the school in efforts to secure appropriate grant funding (including NIH ) and philanthropy to support research/academic priorities.
Provide the vision and leadership to achieve superior clinical programs. Work with the leadership at VCU Medical Center to build and grow areas of acknowledged clinical excellence. Serve on School and University committees, study sections, academic societies, and review groups as a journal editor and/or on editorial boards. Commitment to service within the community. Continue to develop relationships with the VA Medical Center when appropriate.
4. Other (administrative duties, etc.)
Prepare, oversee and implement the Anesthesiology departmental budget that encompasses all funding sources and ensures compliance with grant, legislative and institutional guidelines. Effectively manage available resources. Ensure ethical and fiscally responsible practices within the Department of Anesthesiology. Support all institutional compliance activities. Recruit, hire and retain outstanding, diverse faculty. Ensure an atmosphere of support and development. Encourage philanthropic gifts. Be a highly visible collaborative leader in supporting VCU School of Medicine strategic direction in partnership with Departmental chairs, SOM academic affairs, and research leadership.
Implement policies and systems to deliver superior patient care for patients. Be active and resolute in advancing patient care, service excellence, patient outcomes, quality, and safety and maximize day-to-day operational performance of Department of Anesthesiology faculty and clinical Anesthesiology programs. Ensure superior quality and safety for Anesthesiology practices. Monitor and ensure patient access for all services. Coordinate with CMO of VCUHS to ensure compliance with institutional and regulatory requirements. Partner with health system to collaborate with community partners.
Take a highly respected Anesthesiology Department to the next level of academic excellence. Provide a strong and impassioned vision for building excellence in all aspects of the clinical and academic mission. Understand, appreciate, and prepare for current and future trends in the field of anesthesia and pain management. Work effectively across a complex academic medical center.
Build strong relationships with others in an environment where the other health sciences schools and the hospital are partners and where Anesthesiology faculty and staff collaborate with other departments to ensure mutual achievement. Collaborate with the VA Medical Center to build clinical, teaching, and research relationships.
Mentor and develop trainees and junior faculty. Commit to and actively participate in undergraduate and graduate education. Identify, recruit and retain the next generation of superior faculty members.
• Medical degree is required. Board certification is required. Eligibility to work in the United States and for a Virginia medical license is required.
• Currently holding an academic rank of Associate Professor or Professor at an academic medical center or medical school.
• Seasoned educator and administrator who possesses national and/or international recognition in the clinical, educational and/or research disciplines of Anesthesiology.
• Successful administrative and leadership experience at an academic institution, such as a Department Chair, Division Chief/Section Head or Program Director in Anesthesiology. Experience developing academic leaders with a reputation for mentorship of students and trainees and development of junior faculty. Demonstrated ability to identify and recruit a diverse faculty.
• Clear evidence of accomplishments in teaching, research and other professional activities and related administrative experience.
• Previous experience building or expanding a program, department or group within an organization. Demonstrated accomplishments in developing and leading an academic department may suffice.
• Demonstration of successful collaborative academic leadership.
• Demonstrated managerial and business acumen. Experience in and demonstrated knowledge of the complex financial pressures facing academic medical centers, health care delivery organizations, and academic departments of clinical excellence.
• Experience in a competitive clinical marketplace.
• Politically astute and able to work well with people at all levels – university, hospital, community, faculty, and staff. A reputation as a consensus builder and someone who can resolve conflict for the betterment of the organization.
• Unimpeachable integrity and personal ethics.
• Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written.
• Strong organization and process management skills.
• High energy coupled with a strong work ethic and a desire to have a meaningful impact.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
• Leadership by example with intent/desire to continue clinical practice while serving as Department of Anesthesiology Chair.
• Ability to contribute in highly matrixed academic environment as member of SOM leadership team.
• Leadership in continuous quality improvement and demonstrated commitment to quality and safety in healthcare.
• Willingness to engage broadly with VCU as an institutional leader and to be a highly visible ambassador for SOM both internally and in Richmond’s and Virginia’s communities.
• Outgoing and personable demeanor and a track record of forging win-win relationships.
• Ability to see the bigger picture of issues and the role of the department.
• Track record of trainees who have developed into successful faculty members at his/her institution or elsewhere.
Date Posted 12/18/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2020 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Interested candidates should apply online at https://www.vcujobs.com. Please provide a CV, a letter of interest with the names of thee references, and a diversity statement.
Questions should be addressed to the search committee co-chairs: Dr. Larry DiNardo at email@example.com and/or Dr. Patrick Nana-Sinkam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102449 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Other Document