Senior Associate Dean
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number FAB620 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Professor Working Title Senior Associate Dean School/Unit School of Business Department School Of Business Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the School of Business at Virginia Commonwealth University is to be a dynamic hub of business education and research, fueled by creativity and a commitment to preparing students to lead in a complex world. Aligned with our strategic plan EPIC (experiential learning, problem solving curricula, impactful research, and a creative culture) and the university’s Quest 2025 – Together We Transform strategic plan, we are committed to providing students with a challenging educational experience that goes beyond business fundamentals to develop creative problem solving skills and knowledge needed in the next generation workforce.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The VCU School of Business welcomes applications for the position of Senior Associate Dean, a key leadership position in the School. The incoming Senior Associate Dean will be a faculty member who will report directly to the Dean and will serve as an academic leader in the school. The Senior Associate Dean will help strengthen the mission and vision of the school to ensure that students have a transformative educational experience.
The Senior Associate Dean, the second highest position in the school reporting directly to the dean, will be an experienced leader with a proven capacity to provide thoughtful, inclusive leadership as well as the energy and enthusiasm to help the school achieve strategic goals and enhance the school’s reputation for excellence in research, teaching and the student experience. The Senior Associate Dean is an advocate for all academic programs, working collaboratively through a structure of shared governance with faculty, active leadership with academic administration, robust partnerships with other business school senior leaders, and effective university level relationships to drive academic innovation and continuous improvement.
● Develop and enact a plan including strategies and programs to enhance the research climate and provide opportunities in the school for faculty, staff, and students to expand their research skills, funding sources, and productivity.
● Provide collaborative leadership to develop and implement innovative, future-oriented educational programs and delivery models that create transformative ideas, improve teaching excellence and support student success.
● Champion diversity and inclusive excellence by creating a welcoming atmosphere where faculty, staff, and students feel a sense of belonging. Lead inclusive-driven change by working with institutional leadership to pursue a vision aligned with the Quest 2025 strategic plan. Develop and implement policies to expand and support inclusive practices and pedagogy. Increase efforts to retain diverse students and diversify faculty ranks to be reflective of our student body.
● Lead the AACSB accreditation and review process to ensure successful accreditation results. Work with the Dean, Chairs and senior leaders to ensure and support a culture of continuous improvement. Must work closely with internal school and university leadership for AACSB, SACS and ABET accreditation as we prepare and create documentation for accreditation reporting, reviews and site visits.
● Primarily responsible, under the Dean, for the organization and performance of the faculty, academic leadership, and staff of the School. Directly manage academic Department Chairs and Associate Deans. Collaborate and support the academic affairs of specialty centers of excellence, including faculty and curriculum initiatives. Lead and coach faculty and staff on performance plans and guide faculty on promotion and/or tenure plans and processes through a system of mentoring and direct feedback.
● Work closely with the Assistant Dean for Student Resources and Enrollment Management to support the strategic enrollment and retention efforts led by that office, as well as manage elevated academic student issues.
● Effectively communicate with the faculty and seek input in the consideration, formulation, and implementation of recommendations and decisions relating to the academic policies of the School of Business. Ensure that School of Business practices and initiatives are consistent with University and School policies and guidelines and the School of Business Faculty By-laws.
● Responsible for effective and efficient budgeting. Review and manage program and course offerings in the context of an RCM budgeting model. Collaborate with the enrollment management team and finance team to predict and manage revenues and costs.
● Maintain and strengthen relationships at the university level and within the industry that are critical to the success of the school. As the direct representative of the Dean, in his absence or in specific ongoing areas, ensure a consistent, positive, partnership-focused response in all interactions.
● The Senior Associate Dean will hold a PhD in business or a related discipline preferably from an AACSB accredited institution.
● A distinctive record of academic achievement and demonstrated commitment to research with an established consistent publication record and demonstrated successful teaching performance, with a minimum of five years relevant experience as an academic administrator or in a senior level role at a rank of Associate Professor or higher.
● Along with in-depth knowledge of the post-secondary education environment, the Senior Associate Dean brings outstanding communication and relationship building skills. Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences – students to cabinet level; facilitate discussions and bring groups to consensus.
● Ability to direct the utilization of resources and the budgets that support academic programming and faculty development. A skill set that includes analytical ability, ethical decision making, team management, creative problem solving, a visionary perspective and financial and intellectual acumen to directly utilize resources and budgets that support faculty development and academic programming.
● The ability to engage, motivate and inspire stakeholders in change efforts that are incremental or transformational, leveraging evidence-based practice, data, and a focus on achieving results even in the face of obstacles.
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member of VCU .
• The ability to balance strategic and tactical perspectives and contribute in a highly matrixed academic environment while working with a variety of constituent groups.
• The candidate should have a proven track record of successful shared governance and be committed to shared governance with the faculty.
Date Posted 12/18/2020 Open Until Filled No Application Deadline Date 01/31/2021 Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
In addition, please include the following attachments:
- Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information of three references (in one PDF in the “Other Document” section)
Apply online through www.vcujobs.com
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102465 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you find out about this position?
- ○ Alumni association magazine
- ○ Chronicle of Higher Education
- ○ Community event
- ○ Email notification
- ○ HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- ○ Higher education publication
- ○ Internal Recruiter
- ○ Job fair
- ○ Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- ○ Listserv
- ○ Newspaper
- ○ Professional association/journal
- ○ Referred by person/employee
- ○ Search firm notification
- ○ VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- ○ Other
- If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond