Visiting Assistant Professor - Computer Science Lab Coordinator
The Computer Science department at the College of Saint Benedict
and Saint John's University invites applications for a full-time (9
month) position of Computer Science Lab Coordinator to begin in
August 2021. The Lab Coordinator holds a non-tenure track faculty
appointment status of Visiting Assistant Professor.
The Computer Science department includes six faculty members and a scientist-in-residence. The department recently relocated to newly renovated facilities with dedicated learning spaces that are managed by our lab coordinator and maintained by IT Services which provides extensive educational and system administration support for the department. We offer a major and minor in Computer Science, as well as a major in Numerical Computation and an interdisciplinary minor in Data Analytics. For the past two years, we have been graduating around 30 majors annually.
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB/SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative education of their students. Please view our brochure regarding Higher Education in the Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
With a total enrollment of approximately 3,300 students, faculty members develop relationships with students in small classroom settings and have opportunities to work closely with students on research projects, experiential learning experiences, and study abroad programs. Recent initiatives to create a dynamic general education curriculum and to develop plans for a new teaching and learning center demonstrate strong institutional support for faculty development. For further information, see http://www.csbsju.edu.
Institutional Commitment to Diversity
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University believe that an excellent liberal arts education requires an understanding and appreciation of cultural difference. Please view our Institutional Statement on Diversity.
CSB/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
1. Provide instructional support for the lab-based curriculum, including:
- working with and mentoring students in a hands-on lab environment to reinforce the learning objectives for the associated course, and
- designing and implementing lab assignments and policies in cooperation with department faculty
2. Act as liaison to IT Services to provide and maintain
computing hardware and software deployments on behalf of the
Computer Science department.
3. Hire, train, and mentor student teaching assistants.
4. Perform related duties as assigned by the chair of the Computer Science department which may include teaching courses, depending on departmental needs and the candidate’s interest.
- Master’s degree or higher in computer science or a closely related discipline
- Ability to engage with, provide instruction, and mentor undergraduate students in a computing lab environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to prioritize, track and manage detailed information
- Ability to manage and mentor student teaching assistants and ensure that they are serving the needs of the department
- Willingness to work collaboratively, such as on class and lab design
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Understanding of and commitment to undergraduate liberal arts education
- Advanced proficiency managing educational software and computing systems, ideally in a Unix-based environment
To view the posting and apply online, visit http://employment.csbsju.edu. Candidates are asked to submit the following application materials:
- Letter of application
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Candidates are expected to share their commitment to working with and educating a diverse student body; this may be addressed in a separate statement or included in #1 or #2 above.
- Complete contact information (including email addresses and phone numbers) for three professional references
- Unofficial copy of graduate academic transcript(s); official copy required upon hire
All applications received before January 15, 2021 will be given full consideration. Only complete applications will be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For more information, please contact Jeremy Iverson (search chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.