Instructor/Assistant Professor, Economics
Instructor/Assistant Professor, Economics
Dec 4, 2020
Economics - HECO
Anne Arundel Community College (AACC) is seeking exceptional faculty members committed to the college’s philosophy that education serves the greater good by providing students access to a better life. The candidates for faculty positions understand that community colleges are positioned to fundamentally change people’s lives, and as a result, society itself. Required qualities include a belief that continuous improvement in pedagogy and relationships with students, other faculty, and staff are hallmarks of an educator who has been called to the profession. We are seeking colleagues who embrace the idea of helping students achieve their goals, and approach academic excellence as evidenced in equity as a moral imperative.
AACC believes that faculty are the heart of the institution. We are seeking faculty members who are energized by the community college pathways and inclusivity/equity initiatives, and see it as their job to support a diverse set of learners inside and outside the classroom. AACC embraces the notion of life-long learning and continuous improvement, and so is looking for those with a sincere desire to self-reflect on personal instructional practices and work collaboratively with colleagues to improve teaching and learning for all students. AACC seeks to hire faculty members who espouse the ideals in AACC’s mission and those who will collaborate with their department colleagues to bring AACC’s vision and strategic plan to reality.
To qualify for the position, a master’s degree in economics or equivalent (at least 24 graduate hours in economics, including micro and macro) is required, Ph.D. preferred. Proficiency in statistics, a proven ability to teach college-level economics courses and current experience with a range of computer applications in economics and statistics are required. Additionally, excellence in oral, written and interpersonal communication skills is expected. Candidates should be committed to student centered, outcomes-based education with experience incorporating multiple instructional strategies and the use of technology in teaching and learning. Strong candidates will demonstrate knowledge of evidence based teaching practices, commitment to inclusive teaching practices, and application of these practices in a college classroom to help students succeed.
Teaching assignments are 15 faculty load hours per semester. Courses to be instructed will include courses in introductory, micro-, macroeconomics and business statistics. Full-time faculty are expected to participate on committees and in activities within the department, school of business and law, and the college. Additionally, candidates should be proven team-players with an ongoing commitment to personal and professional development as well as the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most AACC employees are currently working remotely. Only individuals who are residents of Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia or the District of Columbia are eligible for employment at the college. You must reside in one of these states prior to a determined start date.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
With meeting community needs and improving teaching and learning among Anne Arundel Community College’s highest priorities, we are strategically positioned to set and surpass new standards of excellence in our primary teaching and learning mission. Guided by principles that emphasize equity and student success, especially in learning, and continuous improvement for a progressive and vital learning community, we envision AACC as a premier learning organization that is in the vanguard of community college education. As a consequence, we welcome qualified faculty candidates who demonstrate a:
- Commitment to teaching excellence with a diverse student body and in a variety of teaching formats
- Commitment to developing curriculum and programs
- Expertise in Learning Outcomes Assessment
- Commitment to engaging with students inside and outside of the classroom
- Commitment to college service and value community partnerships
- Commitment to continuous improvement and professional development
- Commitment to AACC’s values
- Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- 30 faculty load hours each academic year
- 6 office hours per week during the fall and spring semesters
- Teaching and assessing student learning
- Student advising
- Professional Development
In addition to a faculty member’s primary responsibilities, the exceptional candidate will also demonstrate commitment and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- creating experiential learning opportunities and assessment techniques, (e.g., work-based and service learning? portfolio assessment, including developing and evaluating learning portfolios? etc.)
- students from target groups
- new full-time faculty
- part-time faculty
- designing, formatting and delivering curriculum for all learning modalities and formats (traditional online, classroom, and online synchronous
- training and consulting for workforce initiatives (e.g., for public and corporate partners, etc.)
- developing and implementing community education and extended learning programs
- partnering with colleagues to enhance services to students and
- recruiting and marketing
- advising with expanded responsibilities
- devising retention strategies and activities
- strengthening relationships and collaborative activities including K-12 and baccalaureate-granting colleagues
- Master’s degree in Economics or equivalent (at least 24 graduate hours in economics, including micro and macro)
- Minimum of three years teaching in higher education.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skill.
- PhD in Economics
- Two or more years of teaching, at the community college level
- Experience with pedagogy and classroom management techniques designed to maximize student success.
- Experience with curriculum development, particularly in an online format.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in Spanish
Hours Per Week:
For full position descriptions, required qualifications and to apply, please visit our web site at www.aacc.edu/employment and click on Career Opportunities.
AACC is an equal opportunity employer who values the power of diversity and the strength it brings to the workplace.