Administrative Assistant -K
Administrative Assistant -K
Department: Cognitive Science Department
Duration of Position: Academic year / Part time
Work Schedule: 30 hours/week, 42 weeks/year
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 12/11/2020
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS024P
Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative and operational support to the Department of Cognitive Science. The Administrative Assistant assists the department chair, faculty, staff, students, and visitors with administrative functions. This position additionally supports the Vassar College Institutional Review Board (IRB). The Administrative Assistant position is a part time, 30 hours/week position for the academic year (42 weeks/year), however a minimum of 2 hours/week, potentially up to 4 hours/week, will be required for 10 weeks in the summer, typically from the end of June to the beginning of August.
- Report to and work closely with the department chair on all
subjects including annual reports, staffing plans, course masters,
and professional correspondence.
- Serve as a primary contact for students and visitors, answer
the department phone, respond to email queries, meet the needs of
students and visitors as they come into the office. etc.
- Assist faculty with preparation of course and professional
- Maintain the shared department calendar for semester deadlines,
meetings, events. This includes room reservations.
- Co-supervise the student office intern and placement of student
employees such as faculty research assistants and course academic
- Coordinate with Registrar office regarding class schedules,
enrollments, student records, curricular changes, etc.
- Maintain and reconcile department budgets and any gift or
endowment funds. Assist with annual allocations
- Organize paperwork for faculty & staff
- Place and track orders as requested by faculty and staff.
Maintain inventory for office and other department
- Assist in the purchase and renewal of annual service contracts
for laboratory equipment.
- Distribute department mail to faculty and staff mail
- Report building problems to Facilities Operations, and maintain
log of ongoing and completed building repairs.
- Organize and maintain all department records. This includes
confidential personnel files and letters, and faculty assessment
- Provide travel arrangements, accommodations, interview and meal
schedules for department job candidates. This includes assisting
faculty with professional travel arrangements and guest speaker
- Update department website as needed.
- Participate actively in departmental special events, which
includes organizing events, catering, student orientation
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Handle all inquiries regarding IRB procedures. This includes
answering questions where possible and otherwise forwarding them to
the IRB chair(s), keeping a record and following up with chair(s)
on the inquiries.
- Create, send, and file necessary correspondence regarding IRB
approvals or other official decisions.
- File submitted exempt determination forms, full IRB
applications, and IRB committee/chair responses and
- Schedule IRB committee meetings and distribute materials
needed. Check with IRB members regarding continuing participation
on the committee.
- Assist with maintaining and updating the IRB website and
- Gain familiarity with the federal IRB regulations and how
procedures serve to implement them.
- A minimum of two to four years administrative support
experience and/or training.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse community of
students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple competing
priorities while maintaining attention to detail and exercising
- Must exercise discretion and maintain
- Maintain a professional problem-solving demeanor during
sometimes stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and with other departments on
campus including Accounts Payable, Registrar, Purchasing, Student
Employment, Human Resources, Building & Grounds. Campus
Activities, and other academic departments with whom we share
- Strong computer skills are required including proficiency with
both Mac and PC platform environments, Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Excel, Google’s suite of tools (Gmail, calendar, drive, docs,
etc.), Workday (or comparable database systems), Moodle (or
comparable course management system), and a variety of email and
internet browsers. Must be open to learning new software as
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and telephone manner are essential.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1680.