The University of Utah School of Dentistry (UUSOD) is accepting applications for a prosthodontist to join our dental school faculty in 2021. The position is available in the tenure-line or career-line (clinical track) at the assistant, associate, or full professor rank. Rank will be determined by the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
We seek an accomplished clinician who is highly motivated to teach in a recently established dental school that has been in existence since 2012. Candidates need to possess the skills, capacities and interests to educate and train an exceptionally talented group of students in a university environment that thrives on innovation, is driven by a humanistic culture of inclusion and ethics, and is committed to leading the nation in the transformation of value-based health care. The UUSOD currently offers a DDS degree and teaches pre-doctoral students. The UUSOD also offers our highly-regarded general practice residency which trains 10 residents annually.
Beyond our competitive salary, the University's and School of Dentistry's benefits program is tremendous, including: health care, prescription drug, behavioral health, dental, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement plans, supplemental retirement plans, retiree benefits, accidental death & dismemberment, disability, life insurances, long-term care, home and auto insurance, legal plans, military benefits, and large tuition benefits for you and family (see more details here: https://www.hr.utah.edu/benefits/).
Qualified candidates must have completed an accredited specialty program in Prosthodontics and be a graduate of an accredited dental school. They must be eligible for a dental license in the state of Utah.
Responsibilities will include:
- Educating and mentoring students in the DDS program in undergraduate didactic and clinical teaching of prosthodontics in a school that provides an integrated curriculum in the foundational sciences. The school has fostered strong inter-professional education and patient care with its partners in medicine, pharmacy, health and nursing. Evidence-based care is integral to all of its programs. Our inter-disciplinary educational forums utilize case analyses in team-based settings. Clinical training occurs within the School of Dentistry, hospital and community health clinic settings. Given the wide spectrum of social responsibility, social and professional intelligence is a must.
- Strong involvement with our interdisciplinary care of patients with the restorative, periodontic, endodontic, oral surgery and oral diagnosis sections of the UUSOD. Therefore, it is required that the incumbent have experience-based proficiency treatment planning complex cases, and the social acumen to coordinate amongst a team. The position requires a high degree of situational awareness in educating students, coordinating teams, treating patients, medical history synthesis, and professional leadership.
- This position’s clinical domain will require significant experience and skills in crowns, veneers, inlays, onlays, fixed and removable partial dentures, complete dentures, and comprehensive knowledge in dental implant prosthetics. This person may at times or in various places, be the main clinical lead for prosthodontics at the University of Utah, and therefore, this person will stand as an expert in the school in prosthodontic matters, and as such will be required to manifest tremendous social and professional capacities, as well as a high degree of prosthodontic skill, judgement, interpretation, prediction, and evaluation.
- Leadership or responsibilities in clinical roles, research roles, or education roles may be required. Interests in research and scholarly activity by the career-line candidate will be strongly supported, but not a requirement; but if the career-line incumbent has desires to add to the general knowledge of publishable science, the School of Dentistry will be passionately committed to helping fulfill this career path. Tenure-line candidates are required to qualify themselves for the requirements of the retention, promotion, and tenure policies of the University and School of Dentistry regarding the primary criteria areas of (1) teaching, (2) research/ creative activity, and (3) University, professional, and public service.
We are looking for applicants who are committed to educating and mentoring dental students to be technically proficient in all aspects of primary oral health care and who can serve as role models for compassionate and ethical care of patients. We also seek individuals whose drive and intellectual curiosity help advance research that leads to new therapeutics for dentistry. We seek applicants with insights and vision for partnering with other primary health care professionals to improve oral and overall health for patients.
Opportunities abound at the University of Utah to assist faculty in developing skills as evidence-based educators, learners and leaders for academic dentistry. The institution just renewed its Center for Clinical Translational Science that serves as a rich resource for patient-oriented research methodology and mentoring. Leadership opportunities are available for those applicants who wish to spearhead programs directed at transforming academic dentistry and the practice of an integrated primary oral health care delivery for all segments of our society.
Considered one of the best places in the world, Utah is home to the world's best skiing, once in a lifetime hikes in Zion National Park, world-renowned stargazing in Bryce Canyon National Park, timeless reflection in Arches National Park, not to mention the magazine-worthy mountain biking trails in Moab. If that is not enough, hit top speeds on Utah's historic salt flats, or take a day trip to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone National Park.
Candidates should submit current curriculum vitae along with a cover letter that summarizes teaching, clinical and scholarly experiences. All applications must be submitted online at:
Inquires may be directed to:
Mark Durham, DDS
Christensen Presidential Endowed Chair
School of Dentistry
Review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Utah Health (U of U Health) is a patient focused center distinguished by collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. The U of U Health values candidates who are committed to fostering and furthering the culture of compassion, collaboration, innovation, accountability, diversity, integrity, quality, and trust that is integral to our mission.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, status as a person with a disability, genetic information, or Protected Veteran status. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. To inquire about the University’s nondiscrimination or affirmative action policies or to request disability accommodation, please contact: Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 135, (801) 581-8365.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Salt Lake City
- Education Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Salt Lake City
- Curriculum & Instruction Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Salt Lake City
- Health & Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Salt Lake City
- Dentistry Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Salt Lake City