Part-Time Coordinator I, Science Lab-Math & Sciences Division
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Founded in 2010, LSC-University Park is located on a 71-acre campus that includes the comprehensive Lone Star College campus along with Lone Star Corporate College, the LSC-Energy & Manufacturing Center, multiple university partners, a charter high school, several commercial tenants and much more creating the college of the future. LSC-UP’s vision is to be nationally recognized as the model for the innovative college of the 21st century. LSC-UP’s “Invitation to Innovate” (i2i) has resulted in local, national and international awards and recognitions, including one patent.
Campus address is 20515 SH 249 (TX 249 and Louetta Road), Houston, TX 77070.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
This position is responsible for the coordination of general functions in the science laboratory environment. Functions of the position include coordination of services, delivery of materials, coordinating events, organizing resources, tracking laboratory materials, tracking equipment, and assisting with running the lab.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Communicates with the faculty and other laboratory staff about l ab schedules and lab materials; m aintains a constant dialogue between instructors and labs throughout the semester
2. Continuously analyzes and improves upon lab-related procedures and practices
3. Properly handles, controls, and keeps diligent records of chemical and bio-hazardous wastes
4. Actively remains current with new technologies and safety regulations and promotes a culture of safety in the laboratory
5. Prepares and inventories complex reagents, chemicals, solutions, stains, media and dyes according to protocol
6. Properly monitors, handles, sterilizes and disposes of microbiological organisms and other bio-hazardous & chemical waste or materials
7. Operates and maintains laboratory equipment & supplies including but not limited to microscopes, autoclave, Thermal Cycler, UV transilluminators, shakers, vortexes, incubators, micropipettors and DNA Evaporator/Concentrator
8. Ensures safety and quality assurance practices are followed including maintenance of SDS (Safety Data Sheets) workstations and proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
9. Provides routine lab support including cleaning and restocking of labs, preparation of microbiological mediums, refilling reagent bottles, washing glassware and recording supplies inventory
10. Tracks and coordinates budget expenditures
11. Maintains professional working relationships with a variety of LSC employees at all levels, as well as with outside vendors
12. Responsible for other reasonable duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and/or experience with infection control policies and procedures and safety regulations (EPA, OSHA)
- Astute and broad knowledge of the sciences and related safety protocols for the successful handling of day-to-day operations
- W orking knowledge of sterile/aseptic techniques for microbiology O rganizational, leadership, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum instruction and cooperatively as a member of a team
- Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty and staff
- Capable of pe rforming required duties with minimal supervision
- Good safety record and safety consciousness
PHYSICAL ABILITIES :
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High school diploma or GED and at least 1 year of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Hourly Pay Rate is $14.85/hr
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston