The Cook II will be responsible to accurately and efficiently prepare, portion, cook, and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items needed various meal periods: to include breakfast, lunch, dinner and special/catered events. The Cook II is responsible for cooking and preparing food according to recipes and production guidelines while adhering to food safety, food handling and sanitation procedures.
1. Responsible for learning and adhereing to all food preparation guidelines as established by the culinary leadership team for Ithaca College Dining Services.
2. Prepare food independantly in accordance with current applicable federal, state and cultural standards, as well as guidelines and regulations to ensure high-quality food service is provided
3. Ensure that their individual workstation is set up for every meal with all needed ingredients and equipment.
4. Safely utilize and operate a variety of utensils including knives & equipment such as ovens, stoves, slicers, mixers, etc.
5. Taste products, read menus, estimate food requirements, check production, and keep records in order to accurately plan production.
6. Work with operational and culinary staff to requisition product, supplies and equipment.
7. Clean and sanitize all work stations and equipment and follow all Ithaca College and other relevent regulatory rules and procedures.
8. Attend all required training sessions including allergy, foodborne illness, and safety training.
9. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful Ithaca College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
Previous experience as a cook or similar position in a college/university dining hall, a restaurant or other relevant establishment and working knowledge of food preparation procedures and C T equipment is required. Willingness to adhere to food preparation and service standards as set by Ithaca College Dining Services staff is required. Ability to read and follow written and electronic recipes while unsupervised is required. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to provide excellent customer service while working effectively and respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment is strongly preferred. The Cook II will be required to obtain food safety certification upon hire.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work of the Cook II is carried out within an accessible, safe, indoor and occasional outdoor environment. Long periods of walking, standing, bending and carrying moderately heavy items (up to 50 pounds) may be necessary. The Cook II will be issued and/or required to wear slip resistant shoes, cut gloves, and operate kitchen equipment. The Cook II will be required to work overtime, nights and weekends and various holidays as needed.
Ithaca College understands our obligation to operate in accordance with NYS Department of Health Guidance applicable to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. This includes adherence to required physical distancing guidelines, use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including but not limited to wearing of face masks, and practicing good hand hygiene. Employees will be required to perform regular cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched and high risk areas and may be required to wear a respirator mask if physically able and medically cleared to do so. Daily health screening and weekly testing is also required.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Interested applicants must apply online at ithaca.edu/jobs and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.