Dean of Engineering
Dean, School of Engineering, The Citadel
The Citadel invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the School of Engineering holder of the Col. Louis S. Le Tellier Chair in Engineering. Candidates must possess an earned doctorate and have a strong commitment to promoting liberal education and scholarship at a student-centered college.
The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, founded in 1842, is a co-educational state-assisted college dedicated to achieving excellence in the education of principled future leaders. The nationally-ranked School of Engineering offers three ABET accredited undergraduate engineering programs and two anticipating accreditation this summer including Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer Engineering, Construction Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. In addition, the School offers four Master of Science degree programs in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Project Management. These programs utilize the services of 36 full-time faculty and adjunct professors as required. The total student body within the School of Engineering consists of approximately 500 cadets, active duty, and veteran students enrolled in the undergraduate day programs, 100 students enrolled in the last two years of the college transfer programs, and 80 students enrolled in the evening Master of Science programs. This is an exciting time for the School of Engineering with the launch of The Mighty Citadel 2026 Strategic Plan and the planning for a new engineering facility.
The Dean is responsible for the daily operations of the School and will coordinate, support and promote a wide range of educational and scholarly activities through strong leadership with a focus on empowering, collaborating and relationship building. The Citadel seeks a proven leader with a distinguished academic record and significant administrative and leadership experience. The dean will also be expected to lead the School’s fundraising and development efforts, working closely with the staff of The Citadel Foundation and the School’s Advisory Board. The dean must be able to work effectively and collaboratively with faculty across all of the School’s academic units; this individual must maintain a commitment to the support of excellent teaching, quality scholarly activity, and professional development in a student-centered environment.
- Earned doctorate in one of the disciplines represented in the school, or closely related discipline.
- Demonstrated evidence of the scholarship of teaching and learning, excellence in classroom instruction, research, and scholarly work appropriate to qualify the candidate for appointment as a tenured full professor in one of the departments at The Citadel.
- A record of progressive effective administrative experience in higher education that includes planning, resource development, budgeting and faculty development.
- Commitment to promoting excellence and diversity in the recruitment, retention, and development of students and faculty.
- Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to forge strong collaborations and build relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- A proven record of administering effective ABET accreditation and assessment processes.
- A proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with faculty through shared governance and a commitment to the values of educational excellence and meaningful service consistent with The Citadel’s mission and core values.
- A demonstrated experience as an outstanding fundraiser from college alumni and friends, industry and government.
- A demonstrated ability to acquire external resources through grants, contracts, and gifts.
- Professional registration.
- Familiarity with or interest in the development of online courses and programs.
- A demonstrated ability to grow enrollments in graduate programs
- A demonstrated involvement in engineering education through ASEE, IEEE, ASCE, or similar professional organizations.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with credentials and experience. Applications should include a statement of educational philosophy and leadership style; curriculum vitae; and the names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three references. Review of applications will begin on February 15, 2021 , and continue until an appointment is made.
If you should have any questions concerning this position please feel free to contact: Susie Maghakian at either (843)953-9536 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Citadel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer actively committed to ensuring diversity in all campus employment.
Advertised: Dec 15 2020 Eastern Standard Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston