Senior Manager of Software Services
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Senior Manager for Software Services is focused on improving the productivity and efficiency of software end-users, primarily through the increased utilization of technology in the Software Services area. This role oversees the day-to-day operations of software developers working on diverse projects The Senior Manager is a key partner as Oakton implements the initiatives that are part of the IT Strategic Plan.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Is the subject matter expert for Banner ERP system; gathers and
reviews business requirements and recommends technical solutions
that meet the needs of the business. Stays ahead of the needs by
reviewing new features that are released; aligning them to the
strategic goals of the College and IT; makes recommendations for
implementation to improve productivity and efficiency of students
- Facilitates communication between end users and technical staff
to ensure clarity on problem statements, business requirements,
timelines and the feasibility of technical solutions. Proactively
seeks out partnership opportunities.
- Focuses on the Oakton Experience framework. Understands
opportunities for removing barriers beginning with lead generation
and progressing through student registration to graduation using
- Manages daily technical incidents and problem escalations
related to Banner and integrated third party solutions that are
identified by end users; analyzes tickets to improve service
- Reviews third party applications including but not limited to
Ad Astra, TargetX, Destiny Solutions as required by the College,
data points for integration and makes recommendations for
- Manages software developer(s), software specialist(s) and
additional staff members that may be added to this group, who
develop, modify, enhance and maintain new and existing
- Analyzes end-user facing technologies related to intranet and
mobile technologies; assists in redesigning the portal and Oakton's
mobile app thereby making it easy to use; makes recommendations for
the future roadmap of these technologies.
- Creates, develops and oversees reports, processes, protocols
and procedures, ensuring compliance with applicable federal and
state regulations and to minimize financial liability of the
District and the College.
- Participates in/on a variety of meetings, groups, and/or
committees to communicate and confer about process analysis of
existing procedures and systems, determine cost/benefit and
complexities of new processes and projects, prepare for testing,
discuss the roll-out of new projects and software upgrades, and/or
discuss other applicable issues.
- Develops and monitors the use of programming and documentation
standards used by the team members.
- Provides professional development opportunities to staff
members in order to develop their abilities, skills, and technical
knowledge required to meet the current and future needs of the
College. Maintains skill and knowledge currency.
- Leads staff including management, career development, goal
alignment, and reviews. Proactively addresses disciplinary issues
and participate in the hiring process.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in an Information Technology related field,
or an equivalent combination of training and experience from which
comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is
- Seven or more years of experience performing duties listed
above including at least four years as a people manager.
- Experience developing and supporting mission-critical
enterprise wide applications.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and translate technical
and/or complex concepts into information meaningful to team members
and/or business personnel.
- Experience creating user documentation as well as creating and
providing user training.
- Exceptional communication, partnership, and customer service
- Experience working in the higher education environment
- Industry certifications such as PMP, ITIL preferred.
Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Director of Software Services.
Functional supervision is exercised over Software Developers/Analysts.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
SALARY: $78,117. Please note starting salary subject to change upon completion of Staff Negotiations in 2021.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.