Director of Executive Communications
The Director of Executive Communications is responsible for
developing the strategy for the Miami University president’s
written, digital/interactive and verbal communications and
messaging. S/he ensures articulation of the president’s goals and
objectives for the University’s mission, values and strategic
direction in communications and media. The director works closely
with external units including senior leadership, development,
alumni relations, marketing and communications and government
• Under collaboration with and under the general director of the vice president of university communications and marketing/CMCO, assists in developing the strategy and framework for Miami University’s internal communications, including senior leadership communication strategies.
• Works to ensure that top leadership is reflecting Miami University of Ohio’s strengths in all forms of executive communication, ensuring consistent alignment of messaging among all senior leaders.
• Coordinates alongside the VP/CMCO internal messaging strategies for major university announcements along with regular internal presidential and university messages. This includes the president’s e-newsletter, Miami Matters and peer-to-peer strategies. education and related issues.
• Provides oversight and collaboration with UCM staff to produce the annual President’s Report and Diversity Report.
• Assists in strategizing opportunities and identifying events that require strategic messaging and talking points.
• Serves on the UCM leadership team.
STRATEGY AND MESSAGE DEVELOPMENT
• Work closely with the VP/CMCO to develop strategies for advancing the university’s vision and message.
• Conduct research to develop the strategy and framework for communications that contribute to and advance mission of Miami University.
• Review and ensure accuracy of all facts, statistics and claims made about the university in presidential communications.
• Orchestrate opportunities for senior leaders to present issues and brand messages.
• Research and analyze issues and interests of audiences/organizations.
WRITING AND COORDINATION OF COMMUNICATIONS
• Develop executive communications in written, video, audio, presentation and digital formats.
• Write content in the president’s voice and message for use in: University and external print, Web, and social/digital communications; discussions and communications with external and internal constituents; media; and with defined audiences.
• Assist in drafting opinion editorials on current issues.
• Assist as needed in developing ideas, information and analyses for speeches and statements on major issues. Advise on content, approach, tone and other aspects of communication.
• Coordinate content for major reports involving the president, such as the campus’ and the president’s annual goals statements, the campus’ annual report, the president’s annual convocation address, fall and spring commencement ceremony addresses, and the president’s annual State of the Campus address.
• Coordinate, write and distribute communications for various senior level officials.
• Coordinate, write and prepare presentations on behalf of the president.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations,
communications, English, or related field.
• At least two years’ professional experience writing executive or legislative communications.
• Experience using different media including Web, social media, and traditional environments to communicate.
• Strong writing portfolio with experience in researching topics, writing and editing varied types of content.
• Collaborative and open to input and new ideas; comfortable working in a rapid-response, team environment.
• Interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with a wide range of audiences -- including faculty, students, leadership, staff, alumni, community groups, donors, and elected officials.
• Nimble, flexible writer skilled in a variety of approaches for engaging audiences.
• Experience and comfort working in a deadline-driven writing environment of multiple projects and quick turn-around requirements.
• Detail-oriented with skills in time and organizational management.
• Experience with the Microsoft Office suite including PowerPoint, and experience in crafting messages for an executive in social tools such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Snapchat.