Dean, School of Management
Dean, School of Management
Marist College seeks a visionary, collegial, and entrepreneurial dean for its AACSB accredited School of Management. The ideal candidate will have experience in the academic community, although candidates with distinguished careers in business will also be carefully considered. They will have the leadership skills to successfully array both the talented faculty and resources of the school to achieve the strategic goals of the School of Management as described in the 2018-2023 Strategic Plan, (www.marist.edu/about/strategic-plan). Specifically, the new dean will work with the School of Management faculty to enhance the quality and distinctiveness of the educational experience for all students, strengthen programs and opportunities to prepare students to be ethical and effective leaders, and enhance the signature characteristics of the internationally recognized graduate programs that are poised for substantial growth. The new dean will have the opportunity to participate in the planning and construction of the new state of the art academic building for the School of Management. The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until a candidate is selected. The expected starting date is summer 2021.
The ideal candidate will:
- have prior success in engaging internal and external constituencies, expanding financial resources, and developing successful programs;
- demonstrate a commitment to the Marist mission;
- foster an environment of student learning and possess knowledge of and dedication to the assessment of student learning;
- work with faculty and the vice president for academic affairs to carry out the vision of the School and have the leadership skills to achieve that vision;
- have an awareness of both the threats and opportunities associated with the disruptive trends in the delivery of courses and programs in higher education;
- have an earned doctorate in a relevant field or comparable outstanding achievement in the corporate or private sector.
As a member of both the Dean’s Council and the President’s Cabinet, the dean fills an important leadership position at an institution with a national reputation for teaching excellence and technology innovation. Reporting to the vice president for academic affairs/dean of faculty, the dean:
- exercises supervisory responsibility for the School’s personnel, planning, fiscal management, project development, facilities, operations, assessment, and other administrative functions;
- works closely with the Enrollment Office and the Office of College Advancement to develop new opportunities and collaborations outside of the college to help support the School’s strategic vision;
- works closely with the SOM Board of Advisors to provide meaningful and practical experiences and opportunities for our students;
- oversees hiring, mentoring, developing, supervising, and evaluating all full-time faculty in the school;
- appreciates the importance of recruiting and retaining faculty and students from diverse and underrepresented populations.
- develops and implements programs that bring students and distinction to Marist;
- ensures the quality and relevance of all management programs;
- exercises oversight of the AACSB and NASPAA accreditations of the graduate and undergraduate programs within the school, and oversight of the school’s programs offered in New York City, Albany, and at various extension sites throughout New York State.
Marist is a highly selective comprehensive institution grounded in the liberal arts, and the dean is the key advocate for the role of liberal arts in management education. Marist management students have earned prestigious, nationally competitive awards, and the dean plays a vital role in promoting these opportunities on campus and guiding student success. Furthermore, the dean engages with alumni, scholars, advisory boards, and other professionals to promote grants, research, post-graduate placements, and internship opportunities.
About the School
The dean is the school’s chief academic and administrative officer of a unit comprising three departments, 45 full-time faculty, 5 full-time staff, about 45 part-time faculty, 1,200 undergraduate students, and 400 graduate students. The mission of the School of Management is to foster a learning-centered environment that prepares its undergraduate and graduate students to become leaders in today’s competitive and rapidly changing global business environment. The School offers bachelor’s degrees in accounting, business, and economics, and master’s degrees in business administration, accounting, and public administration. The MBA and MPA are offered in online formats, and were the first approved online degree programs of their kind in New York State. The School of Management is recognized as one of the best business schools by the Princeton Review, and the online MBA has been named to the U.S. News & World Report Top Online MBA Programs Honor Roll.
Located on the banks of the historic Hudson River and at its Florence, Italy campus, Marist College is a comprehensive, independent institution grounded in the liberal arts. Its mission is to “help students develop the intellect, character, and skills required for enlightened, ethical, and productive lives in the global community of the 21st century.” Marist is consistently recognized for excellence by The Princeton Review (Colleges That Create Futures and The Best 385 Colleges), U.S. News & World Report (10th Best Regional University/North, 5th Most Innovative School/North), Kiplinger’s Personal Finance (“Best College Values”), and others. The College is top-ranked for long-term study abroad (#4 in the U.S.) by the U.S. State Department’s Open Doors report. Marist educates more than 5,000 traditional-age undergraduate students and 1,400 adult and graduate students in 47 undergraduate majors and numerous graduate programs, including fully online MBA, MPA, MS, and MA degrees, and also Doctor of Physical Therapy and Physician Assistant programs. To learn more, please visit https://www.marist.edu/about
To learn more or to apply, please visit https://www.marist.edu/careers. Only online applications are accepted.
Marist College is strongly committed to the principle of diversity and is especially interested in receiving applications from members of ethnic and racial minority groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and persons from other under-represented groups.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER