Assistant / Associate Professor of Professional Education (Clinical Experience Director)
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Initial review of applications will begin on January 13th, so applications should be submitted by that time for guaranteed consideration.
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 17, 2021
Bemidji State University (BSU) invites qualified applicants to join our team as an Assistant or Associate Professor of Professional Education. BSU’s vision is to educate people to lead inspired lives. To accomplish BSU’s vision, the University prioritizes creating a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. BSU also prioritizes increasing engagement with Indigenous communities to become a destination university.
BSU is located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota and occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. BSU balances rigorous academia with the opportunity to enjoy a fun, robust, outdoor culture. The proximity to the lake and the surrounding north woods allows easy access to an assortment of recreation. Major campus facilities are connected by all-season underground passages for safe and warm travel during the cold, winter months.
Enrolling around 5,000 students, BSU offers more than 70 undergraduate majors and eight graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 550. BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values include civic engagement and leadership, international and multicultural understanding, belief in the power of the liberal arts, and environmental stewardship.
The Professional Education Department offers graduate and undergraduate programs along with teacher licensure programs. The Professional Education curriculum is research-based and organized around the Minnesota Department of Education Standards of Effective Practice. Graduates are proficient, collaborative, technologically literate and environmentally aware teachers who work effectively in various settings with diverse learners.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Coordinating the BSU clinical experiences office, which
- Placement of field experiences and student teaching.
- EdTPA support.
- Community collaboration with school P-12 school partners.
- Collaborate with department faculty, all licensure programs and content departments.
- Supervise Student Teachers.
- The incumbent would be expected to teach courses that could include, but are not limited to: ED 3100 Foundations of American Education, ED 3110 ED Psychology, ED 3350 Pedagogy, ED 3140 Human Relations, ED 3870 Adaptations, ED 4799 Professional Teacher, ED 4820/30/40 Student Teaching.
- Contributing to a program of scholarship within the discipline, student advising, service to the University and community, and other associated faculty duties.
- Designing and delivering courses for on-campus and online delivery.
- Pursuing scholarly and/or creative activities.
- Contributing to a collegial and supportive environment that advances the goals of the department, including curriculum development, assessment, and other departmental governance activities.
- Contributing to interdisciplinary teaching and involvement in activities that support BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values.
- Assisting with program accreditation.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Pursuing Doctorate in Education or closely related field from a regionally accredited institution at the start of employment.
- Minimum of 3 years of K-12 teaching experience.
- Online teaching experience.
- Experience supporting teacher candidates completing the edTPA.
- Prior experience working with student teachers.
- Communication and collaboration skills with the P-12 community.
- Demonstrated experience working with and/or interest working with students and colleagues from multi-cultural and diverse backgrounds and using culturally responsive pedagogy and practice.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Skills/ability to design and deliver online courses with BrightSpace /Desire To Learn (D2L) or similar software.
- Earned Doctorate in Education.
- Demonstrated ability teaching with a student-centered pedagogy rooted in constructivism.
- Experience (teaching and working with) with Indigenous populations, preferably in Minnesota.
- EdTPA evaluator.
- Training and supporting supervisors of student teachers.
- Knowledge and/or experience with PELSB (Professional Education Licensing Standards Board).
- Strong skills of leadership, communication, collaboration, delegation, and prioritizing tasks.
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your application and/or resume clearly demonstrate fulfillment of these minimum and preferred qualifications.
A complete application will include the following attachments:
- Cover letter, which addresses the required qualifications and your specific interest in working at Bemidji State University.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae.
- Unofficial transcripts for all coursework.
- Teaching statement documenting teaching experience and success and demonstrated interest in the teaching-learning process.
Lisa Schmitz, Assistant Professor
If you have general questions about this posting or submitting an application, contact Teresa Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org
UNIVERSITY / COMMUNITY
Bemidji State University is nestled among the pines along the shores of Lake Bemidji, just blocks from a thriving downtown community. In this Northwoods setting, students, staff, and faculty have a variety of activities at their fingertips. Possessing all the charm and character of a college town, Bemidji remains a tight-knit community of good neighbors and engaged citizens who always come out to cheer for the Bemidji State Beavers. While the city of Bemidji — named after the Ojibwe Chief Shaynowishkung (nicknamed Bemidji) — is home to a diverse population of more than 15,000 people, it serves a regional population of more than 100,000.
Located between three American Indian reservations – Leech Lake, Red Lake and White Earth, students at Bemidji State University have the opportunity to experience a dynamic local culture and history. Bemidji also sits at the center of the legends of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. The famous statues of Paul and Babe greet students as they drive in from the south along Lake Bemidji.
Though quaint and historic, the city offers the urban conveniences upon which college students rely. Bemidji State is conveniently located minutes away from affordable restaurants, cozy coffee shops, grocery stores, city parks and more. Small, locally owned shops and art sculptures line the streets of downtown Bemidji, while national chains can be found in and around the Bemidji area, including an uptown selection of department stores and restaurants.
The thriving downtown community presents ample opportunities for engagement off-campus. Among other things, there are fine-dining restaurants, cafes, and a natural foods co-op in downtown Bemidji. The historic Paul Bunyan Playhouse has a calendar of classic shows; restaurants and lounges offer weekly live music performances; the First Friday Art Walk provides a tour of new monthly art exhibits; and annual events such as the Loop the Lake Festival, the Dragon Boat Festival, the Blue Ox Marathon, Bemidji Winterfest, and The Minnesota Finlandia bring the community together.
For those who love the outdoors, there are wooded, multi-use trail systems within minutes of campus and community parks with walking trails, playgrounds and a skate park. Lake Bemidji State Park and its miles of navigable trails is located directly across the lake from BSU, and the Buena Vista Ski Area — just 12 miles north of campus — offers downhill skiing and BSU-sponsored student transportation in the winter months. Further, the Mississippi River Headwaters is a mere 45 minutes from Bemidji.
For further information, visit our website at: http://www.bemidjistate.edu
Review a "special report on how this former lumber town has rebuilt itself as a high-speed, regional center of enterprise" at Bemidji 2.0
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bemidji
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bemidji
- Education Administration & Leadership Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bemidji
- Teacher Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bemidji