William Paterson University invites applications for the 12-month full-time position of Data Analyst.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Institutional Effectiveness (IE), the Data Analyst serves on the Institutional Effectiveness team, working independently and in collaboration with Information Technology and other data stewards to develop, support, and promote data, reports, and analytics for operational, management, and strategic purposes.
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness aims to provide leadership in improving and maintaining the accuracy and consistency of institutional data for internal and external reporting.
For more information, please visit https://www.wpunj.edu/institutional-effectiveness/index.html
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and maintaining in-depth knowledge of the data, information, analytics needs of the University community; Using advanced knowledge of data warehousing and business intelligence concepts to develop solutions using University applications and data sources; maintaining data warehouse systems of information and reports including an accreditation –based evidence repository.
- Serving as the Institutional Effectiveness functional administrator for SAS and SPSS providing: high level support to report developers across the University, new data modeling, and incorporating data from other sources into the Oracle database which houses the data warehouse.
- Providing leadership, establishing protocol, processes and procedures and administering data warehouses including but not limited to designing data warehouse objects, creating and maintaining tables, views, indexes, functions, stored procedures, packages and scheduled events.
- Working in coordination with Information Technology (IT) to establish user accounts and roles, set up parameters, schedule processes, run utilities, maintain freeze data and resolve reporting tables and warehouse errors.
- Working collaboratively with data stewards and custodians of data systems to understand functional business processes, how data in those systems translate into established data standards and identify potential areas for improvement.
- Establishing and maintaining documentation within the University's Data Cookbook, which may include needs assessment and metadata.
- Creating, executing and maintaining Institutional Effectiveness ad-hoc and point-in-time data extracts and frozen files as required.
- Providing data support for predictive analytics initiatives including extracting, combining and standardizing data from varied sources and source types.
- Assisting in the maintenance of the Institutional Effectiveness office web pages.
- Assisting in the production, administration and analysis of surveys originated by Institutional Effectiveness.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external constituencies regarding data gathering and reporting.
- Participating in state and regional professional organizations to maintain knowledge and apply best practices in the field.
- Working with various constituents on Data Governance committees and other University committees as needed.
- Performing other duties as assigned that are appropriate for the position.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in [programming and analytics] institutional research or Information Technology (IT) with a computer programming experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience writing SAS, SQL or SPSS syntax as well as data extraction and reporting with SAS or similar data reporting tools.
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills required in using software to produce and administer reports for internal and external constituents.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
Additional, preferred qualifications
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field and a minimum of two (2) years progressively responsible experience.
- Demonstrated experience with ERP data, information and reporting needs of a comprehensive institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated functional user experience with Ellucian Banner Student, Finance, Advancement and Human Resources modules.
Attributes and traits:
- Capacity to steadily pursue a project or goal in spite of challenges and complexities.
- Ability to listen without bias, understand, and relate to others in a diverse group with a wide range of wants and needs.
- Capable of initiating and completing projects within timeline.
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage multiple and changing priorities and projects.
- Ability to maintain composure and strength in the face of pressure.
Invitation to apply:
Please click to apply for the position.
Interested candidates will be prompted to:
Complete an application
Submit a cover letter & CV
Provide names/contacts of three professional references.
Submission of all documents listed above is required for consideration.
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. General questions related to this application process, please contact email@example.comAbout William Paterson:
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls nearly 9,000 students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The University is situated on a beautiful, 380-acre suburban campus in Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.
William Paterson University is an equal opportunity employer that actively values and supports diversity among faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.