Assistant/Associate Professor of Finance
Assistant/Associate Professor of Finance
The University of Connecticut’s (UConn) Department of Finance is pleased to invite applications for a tenure-track faculty position, specializing in Fintech, at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor. The Department of Finance is internationally recognized for both its teaching and research. It has 30 faculty members, 977 undergraduate students, and 270 graduate students, including 12 Ph.D. students.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to research & scholarship through high quality publications, participate in prominent national and international academic conferences, and help guide research efforts in their areas of expertise. We are looking for candidates with expertise in Fintech, that is, expertise in one or more of the following areas: marketplace lending, blockchain, cryptocurrencies and initial coin offerings, robo-advising and quantitative trading, cybersecurity, machine learning, regulation of fintech, and other emerging areas related to Fintech. In addition to research, individuals will be expected to teach appropriate courses at the undergraduate, masters, and/or PhD levels, and participate in outreach and service activities. The successful candidate will share a deep commitment to effective instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels, innovative courses and instruction methods, and mentoring of students in research, outreach, and professional development. Successful candidates will also be expected to broaden participation among members of under-represented groups; demonstrate through research, teaching, and/or public engagement the commitment to, and support of, diversity in the learning experience; integrate multicultural experiences into instructional methods and research tools; and provide leadership in developing pedagogical techniques designed to meet the needs of diverse learning styles and intellectual interests.
Founded in 1881, UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state’s flagship institution of higher education and includes a main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. UConn promotes the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a beacon of academic and research excellence as well as a center for innovation and social service to communities. UConn is a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.
- Earned Ph.D. in Finance or in a related field of study with specialization in the core areas of Finance. Candidates expecting to finish their PhD by August 22, 2021 are encouraged to apply. Equivalent foreign degrees are acceptable.
- Expertise in Fintech, in one or more of the following areas: marketplace lending, blockchain, cryptocurrencies and initial coin offerings, robo-advising and quantitative trading, cybersecurity, machine learning, regulation of fintech, and other emerging areas related to Fintech.
- Applicants should demonstrate a potential to establish a successful research and scholarship record supported by copies of published/working papers and manuscripts with potential for publication in leading academic journals in Finance.
- Show promise of excellence in teaching supported by evidence of superior classroom performance.
- Effective communication skills
- A deep commitment to promoting diversity through their academic and research programs.
- Candidates with an established high-quality research record. Evidence of high-quality research includes but is not limited to publications, acceptances, or papers at advanced stages of review in leading academic journals in Finance.
- Applicants at higher ranks should have a superior record of contribution through research, teaching, and/or public engagement to the diversity and excellence of the learning experience and evidence of service to the university, the field, or the profession through leadership in professional organizations, editorial activities, and successful involvement in undergraduate and/or graduate curriculum development.
This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track position with an anticipated start date of August 23, 2021. The successful candidate’s academic appointment will be at the Storrs campus. Faculty may also be asked to teach at one of UConn’s regional campuses or online as part of their ordinary workload. Candidates may teach in the Undergraduate, Master’s and Ph.D. Programs. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please apply online to Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17731 and submit the following application materials:
- A cover letter,
- Curriculum vitae,
- Research and scholarship statement (innovative concepts that will form the basis of academic career, experience in proposal development, mentorship of graduate students, etc.);
- Teaching statement (including teaching philosophy, teaching experience, commitment to effective learning, concepts for new course development, etc.);
- Commitment to diversity statement (including broadening participation, integrating multicultural experiences in instruction and research and pedagogical techniques to meet the needs of diverse learning styles, etc.);
- Sample journal articles or books
- Three (3) letters of reference.
Evaluation of applicants will begin immediately, with full consideration given to applicants who apply by January 2, 2021. For more information regarding the Department of Finance please visit the department website at www.finance.business.uconn.edu.
Inquiries other than applications can be directed to:
Dr. Chinmoy Ghosh
Finance Department Head
University of Connecticut
School of Business
2100 Hillside Road, Unit 1041
Storrs, CT 06269-1041
At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This position will be filled subject the budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Storrs Mansfield
- Business & Management Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Storrs Mansfield
- Accounting & Finance Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Storrs Mansfield
- Other Business & Management Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Storrs Mansfield