Work Site Location: Coeur d' Alene Campus
This position is responsible for providing math support to NIC students through one-on-one and small group tutoring sessions for math courses and math topics. Tutoring sessions are conducted using in person, online, and hybrid delivery methods. Math tutors facilitate learning and serve as a coach to assist students with developing math study skills and becoming successful independent learners.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background check.
This list includes but is not limited to the following:
- Tutors students in math course work and study skills such as time management, note-taking, and cognitive learning strategies.
- Collaborates with faculty members on how to best support the academic success of individual students. This may require meeting with faculty to review student progress, reaching out to students who need additional support, reviewing course materials to prepare for tutoring sessions, and attending math courses with the supervisor’s and instructor’s permission.
- Tutors students in math concepts to help students refresh their math skills, prepare to take a math placement assessment, or prepare to take a math course.
- Assists students with overcoming math anxiety and developing confidence in their math skills and abilities.
- Shares information with students about the various types of math support services such as face-to-face or online tutoring, workshops, and study groups.
- Shares information with students about other student services, support, and resources.
- Maintains the confidentiality of student information by handling confidential information with tact, discretion and in compliance with FERPA regulations.
- Maintains regular and accurate records of tutoring sessions using the appropriate forms and software.
- Maintains a consistent weekly work schedule in the Math Education Center for walk-ins and scheduled one-on-one appointments.
- Maintains orderliness of MEC supplies, textbooks, and other resources.
- Sanitizes tables, chairs, doors, keyboards, and computer equipment to comply with NIC health and safety protocols.
- Participates in staff meetings to facilitate the day-to-day operations of the MEC and support the MEC’s mission and objectives.
- Attends training and professional development opportunities as required.
- Maintains a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and professional working relationship with supervisors, college staff, students, and the community.
• Prepares learning resources, as assigned by the supervisor, to support the development of mathematical knowledge and skills,
• Communicates with Math Education Consultants about student goals, progress, and academic support needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience :
Level I: High school diploma or GED, and successful completion (a grade of B or above) of relevant college level math courses.
Level II: AA/AS in education, math, or a related field, and a minimum of one year of experience in math instruction or tutoring at the high school or college level, or successful completion (a grade of B or above) of relevant college level math courses.
Level III: Bachelor’s degree in education, math, or a related field, and a minimum of one year of experience in math instruction or tutoring at the high school or college level.
Level IV: Master’s degree in education, math, or a related field, and a minimum of one year of experience in math instruction or tutoring at the high school or college level.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Proficient skills using technology such as web browsers, web apps, and cloud-based tools such as Zoom.
• Proficient skills using Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Communicates in a concise and effective manner, both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrates enthusiasm and flexibility with supporting emergent tutoring needs.
• Adjusts math tutoring and coaching methods to accommodate the various learning needs of students.
• Demonstrates empathy while assisting students confronted by academic or personal difficulties.
• Exhibits strong customer service, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
• Creates a friendly, welcoming, and inclusive environment.
• Works independently with minimal supervision.
• Communicates the need for adjustments to their work schedule in a timely manner.
Advertised: 11 Dec 2020 Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Education Not specified Part Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Part Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene