Assistant Grounds & Moving Supervisor
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) is seeking an Assistant Grounds and Moving Supervisor to join its Facilities department. Facilities supports RISD’s mission by maintaining a safe and sustainable campus through planning, construction services, building operations, careful management of resources, and respectful personal interaction with the entire RISD community.
Under the Custodial Supervisor, the Assistant Grounds and Moving Supervisor oversees and performs work covering all phases of daily groundskeeping and maintenance, ensuring that RISD grounds are maintained in accordance with all applicable codes and safety regulations and are representative of a leading art and design institution. This position is responsible for the organization of day-to-day work and supervision of the grounds and moving staff. The Assistant Grounds and Moving Supervisor prepares schedules, assigns work, and provides training, and coordinates and interacts with external suppliers to obtain and review service offerings and prices and make recommendations to management. It may serve as backup on all custodial/grounds related issues in the absence of the Custodial & Grounds Supervisor.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Hire, train, supervise, and ensure continued development of grounds and moving staff, ensuring compliance with departmental policies and procedures and that work is performed in a manner which supports overall strategic goals and priorities. Provide daily direction and guidance; prepare schedules and work assignments; monitor the quality of work in assigned areas and regularly evaluate and maintain weekly work performance of assigned staff; and maintain job records and review and approve employee time cards and time-off requests.
- Perform work of groundskeeper/mover. Actively engage in the regular upkeep of all lawns. Apply pesticides in all outdoor areas. Determine best location of flower beds and best varieties to be planted. Layout and tend flower beds and other decorative vegetation. Work in conjunction with the director of campus design and exhibitions. Supervise and perform heavy rigging and all moving of office furniture and institutional equipment. Assist the custodial or maintenance departments as required. Responsible for trash pickup. Monitor/assist during inclement weather, to ensure sufficient personnel/resources to keep walkways, sidewalks, and stairs clear of snow and ice and by operating tractors, forklifts, and loaders in removing snow and ice from walks, driveways, parking lots, as well as during new landscape construction.
- Coordinate and contact suppliers for services and goods. Collect and review bids and evaluate services and pricing. Make recommendations as appropriate. May provides oversight to selected vendor(s) and/or ensure projects are done to bid specifications. Keep management abreast of status, jobs, and issues and ensure appropriate parties are notified of any changes, concerns, activity.
- Responsible for the effective inventory processes; service, maintenance, and upkeep; and distribution of all lawn, garden, snow removal, and other related equipment and materials used by groundskeepers/movers, including processing monthly supply orders and ordering equipment.
- Identify, test, and evaluate new products, equipment, clothing and vendors as appropriate. Coordinate and review bids and make recommendations to management based on findings.
- Serve as an initial point of contact in emergency situations. Evaluate emergency information and determine staffing needed to resolve.
- Complete and maintain electronic records, logs, and forms (i.e. 1st reports of injury, EAF). Ensure files and data are accurate and complete.
- Ensure that all safety and OSHA regulations are observed in departmental operations by actively enforcing safe working practices and safety programs as established by RISD EHS and promoting proper working habits. Ensure staff receive all relevant training and information by disseminating and reviewing materials, literature, and delivering training as assigned.
- Respond to maintenance and emergency calls on a 24-hour basis.
- Operate RISD vehicles and equipment to transport materials and navigate campus.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience with additional specialized courses and certifications in landscaping.
- Two to four years in the landscaping field, including prior experience leading, guiding or mentoring others required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to operate machines used in grounds work.
- Must be able to work with and communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds using both oral and written communication skills.
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel strongly preferred and/or the willingness to attend training and adapt to using required technology (ie: College supported enterprise systems such as Workday, etc.)
- Certified Commercial Chemical Applicator's License desired or must be able to obtain within 1 year of date of hire.
- Valid forklift license or the ability to train and obtain the required license within the orientation and review period required.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- College experience valued but not required.
- Prior experience working with outside vendors and reviewing bids and requests for services preferred.
- Valid DOT medical card or the ability to obtain within 90 days of hire is preferred.
40 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person, employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Facilities - Grounds