Assistant Custodial Supervisor
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) is seeking Assistant Custodial Supervisors to join its Facilities department. Facilities supports RISD’s mission by maintaining a safe and sustainable campus through planning, construction services, building operations, careful management of resources, and respectful personal interaction with the entire RISD community.
Under the Custodial Supervisor, the Assistant Custodial Supervisor oversees and performs work covering all phases of daily custodial work, ensuring that facilities are sanitized and/or maintained in accordance with all applicable codes and safety regulations and are representative of a leading art and design institution. This position is responsible for the organization of day-to-day work and supervision of the custodial staff, and it prepares schedules, assigns work, and provides training. The Assistant Custodial Supervisor coordinates and interacts with external suppliers to obtain and review service offerings and prices and make recommendations to management. It also serves as backup on all custodial-related issues in the absence of the Custodial & Grounds Supervisor.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Hire, train, supervise, and ensure continued development of custodial staff, ensuring compliance with departmental policies and procedures and that work is performed in a manner which supports overall strategic goals and priorities. Provide daily direction and guidance; prepare schedules and work assignments; monitor the quality of work in assigned areas and regularly evaluate and maintain weekly work performance of assigned staff; and maintain job records and review and approve employee time cards and time-off requests.
- Coordinate and contact suppliers for services and goods, such as trash removal, carpet cleaning, and window washing. Collect and review bids and evaluate services and pricing. Make recommendations as appropriate. May provide oversight to selected vendor(s) and/or ensure projects are done to bid specifications. Keep management abreast of status, jobs, and issues and ensure appropriate parties are notified of any changes, concerns, activity.
- Responsible for the effective inventory processes, maintenance, and distribution of all equipment and materials used by custodians, including processing monthly supply orders and ordering equipment.
- Identify, test. and evaluate new products, equipment, clothing, and vendors as appropriate. Coordinate and review bids and make recommendations to management based on findings.
- Serve as an initial point of contact in emergency situations. Evaluate emergency information and determine staffing needed to resolve.
- Perform work of custodian. Monitor inclement weather to ensure sufficient staffing and resources are available to keep walkways, sidewalks, and stairs clear of snow and ice, participating in clean-up efforts as needed.
- Complete and maintain electronic records, logs, and forms (i.e. 1st reports of injury, EAF). Ensure files and data are accurate and complete.
- Ensure that all safety and OSHA regulations are observed in departmental operations by actively enforcing safe working practices and safety programs as established by RISD EHS and promoting proper working habits. Ensure staff receive all relevant training and information by disseminating and reviewing materials, literature, and delivering training as assigned.
- Respond to maintenance and emergency calls on a 24-hour basis.
- Operate RISD vehicles and equipment to transport materials and navigate campus.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two to four years supervisor experience in custodial functions
- Valid forklift license or the ability to train and obtain the required license within the orientation and review period required
- Ability to operate machines used in cleaning/sanitization work. Prior experience, leading, guiding or mentoring others
- Must be able to work with and communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds using both oral and written communication skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel strongly preferred and/or the willingness to attend training and adapt to using required technology (ie: College supported enterprise systems such as Workday, etc.)
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- College experience valued but not required
- Prior experience working with outside vendors and reviewing bids and requests for services preferred
- Valid DOT medical card or the ability to obtain within 90
of hire is preferred.
40 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Facilities - Custodial