Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism & President of the Donald W. Reynolds National Center
Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism and President of the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University is seeking a national leader in business journalism to serve as the Reynolds Chair in Business Journalism, an endowed professorship dedicated to advancing business journalism worldwide, and President of the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism.
The Chair will lead a Business Journalism specialization at the school for students interested in pursuing business journalism careers, teach business journalism courses and advance business journalism initiatives across the school and university.
The Chair also will serve as President of the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism, which has trained more than 30,000 journalists and educators since it was established in 2003 with the goal of improving the quality of media coverage of business and the economy. The Center offers in-person and online training in business journalism, supports business coverage via BusinessJournalism.org, and sponsors the national Barlett & Steele Awards for Investigative Business Journalism. The President will develop and execute the Center’s strategic vision for advancing business journalism in the digital age, serve as a national and international resource for teaching and training students, educators and professionals in business journalism, and manage the day-to-day operations of the Center.
This is a permanent position and will hold the faculty rank of Assistant, Associate or Full Professor dependent on experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as an international thought leader on business journalism
- Teach courses in business journalism
- Drive initiatives in business journalism initiatives throughout the Cronkite School and across the university
- Develop and execute vision and growth strategy for the Center
- Manage day-to-day operations of the center, including supervising staff and graduate assistants
- Direct editorial and marketing strategy for BusinessJournalism.org
- Develop new opportunities and delivery mechanisms for training, audience engagement and revenue generation
- Plan and deliver Center training programs, including webinars, workshops and conferences
- Develop partnerships with media organizations and interest groups to drive Center objectives and create professional opportunities for students
- Identify outside trainers when necessary and provide coaching to ensure quality delivery
- Evaluate training programs for quality and content effectiveness
- Oversee the national Barlett & Steele Awards for Investigative Business Journalism
- Present and/or represent the Center at conferences, workshops and industry events
Master’s degree (PhD or terminal degree preferred); professional experience commensurate with the rank of tenured/tenure-track professor in the Cronkite School (such as senior-level experience at a major news organization leading and executing business journalism initiatives and projects); a record of accomplishments and thought leadership in the field of business journalism.
- Experience working in business journalism
- Experience supervising and managing people and projects
- Advanced academic degree
- Experience forging collaborations and partnerships
- Experience teaching at the college level or working with college students in an internship setting
- Experience in development, delivery and evaluation of training programs online and/or in person
- Demonstrated knowledge of instructional design and effective learning techniques across platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge of budget management
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning principles and practices
- Evidence of established connections within the business journalism community
About the Cronkite School
The Cronkite School is widely recognized as one of the nation’s premier journalism programs. Rooted in the time-honored values that characterize its namesake—accuracy, responsibility, objectivity, integrity—the school fosters journalistic excellence and ethics among students as they master the professional skills they need to succeed in the digital media world of today and tomorrow.
Located on ASU’s Downtown Phoenix campus in the heart of the nation’s fifth-largest city, the School has 70 full-time faculty members, more than 100 full-time professional staff and annual resources of more than $40 million.
Nearly 2,500 undergraduate, master’s and doctoral students are enrolled at Cronkite, preparing for careers in journalism, strategic media and related communications fields. Of the undergraduate residential student population, more than 60 percent come from out-of-state and more than 37 percent are students of color. The retention rate consistently exceeds 90 percent, and Cronkite students regularly lead the country in national journalism competitions.
The school champions a “teaching hospital” model of journalism education, for which it has received international acclaim. Cronkite offers 15 different full-immersion professional programs in which students work in intensive, real-world settings under the guidance of top-flight professionals and in collaboration with research faculty. The programs enable students to put into practice what they have learned in the classroom, producing news, information and community engagement on critical issues for the state, region and nation.
The Cronkite faculty is made up of award-winning professional journalists, strategic communications specialists and world-class media scholars. Cronkite professors include five Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists, digital media thought leaders, top TV producers and correspondents, major metropolitan newspaper editors and strategic communications experts.
About Arizona State University
ASU is one of the largest and most innovative public research universities in the country, undertaking a bold reinvention of higher education as a New American University. With four campuses in the Phoenix metropolitan area, it serves more than 127,000 students on campus and online. For the past six years, it has been ranked No. 1 for innovation by U.S. News & World Report.
In the last decade, ASU has developed numerous new programs and units that bridge disciplinary boundaries to enable the exploration and discovery of new knowledge, while developing practical solutions to serve Arizona and the world at large. The university has strong and simultaneous commitments to educational access, excellence, and impact, and assumes significant responsibility for the cultural, social and economic vitality of its surrounding communities.
Application deadline: 01/15/2021 or the first of each month thereafter until the search is closed.
Application materials must include: 1) a current curriculum vita (or resume); 2.) a letter outlining employment history, educational philosophy, scholarly research or creative interests, and a description of how the applicant’s experiences will benefit the Cronkite School’s program; 3.) names, positions and telephone numbers of three professional or academic references.
Submit materials to: http://apply.interfolio.com/81565
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. More detailed information can be found at https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Digital Media Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Media Studies Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix
- Other Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Phoenix