Assistant Professor, Business Analytics
The Milgard School of Business at the University of Washington Tacoma invites applications for an experienced Tenure Track Assistant Professor in business analytics. This full-time position has a 9-month service period and begins September 2021 (Autumn Quarter).
We seek candidates that will contribute as engaged colleagues to serve our growing school and campus. The successful candidate will be expected to perform high quality research and teach a variety of business analytics courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and be willing to provide service to the university, the business school, and the community.
- Doctoral degree (PhD) (or foreign equivalent) in Business Analytics, Management Information Systems/Technology, Operations Management, Data Science, Industrial & Systems Engineering, Computer Science and other fields with a substantial focus on data analytics.
- Experience in curriculum development and/or teaching in multiple modalities, including online, hybrid and/or in-person.
- A record of effective teaching and sustained, successful research in data analytics.
- Teaching experience in one or more of these areas: business intelligence/analytics, data/text mining, database management, business process management, prescriptive analytics, analytical decision-making, machine learning, cognitive analytics, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity analytics, information systems/technology, R and/or Python Programming, cloud services for analytics and supply chain/logistics analytics.
Positive factors for consideration include, but are not limited to:
- Practical real world experience in information systems/technology and/or business analytics
- Quality research with a clear program of future research potential
- At least one year experience teaching in an urban-serving campus environment with a diverse student body, many of whom are first generation college students
University and School Background
One of three campuses of the University of Washington, UW Tacoma is an urban-serving university that shares the University of Washington’s commitment to high quality teaching and research and is committed to participating in the educational, cultural, and economic development of the South Puget Sound. Located largely in renovated historical buildings in Tacoma’s downtown warehouse district, UW Tacoma serves students from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural populations. UW Tacoma’s commitment to equity and inclusion is central to maintaining an atmosphere wherein students, staff, faculty, and residents find abundant opportunities for intellectual, personal and professional growth.
The Milgard School of Business, named in recognition of a multi-million dollar gift from the Milgard family, enjoys strong relationships with businesses and the South Puget Sound community. The School’s Center for Leadership and Social Responsibility and Center for Business Analytics offer opportunities for teaching, research and community outreach related to its mission. The AACSB-accredited Milgard School currently has more than 650 students in its undergraduate, MBA, Masters in Accounting (MAcc), Masters in Business Analytics (MSBA), and Masters in Cybersecurity and Leadership (MCL) programs, in addition to undergraduate minor in business data analytics. Additional information about the Milgard School of Business can be found at http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/business.
All application materials must be submitted through Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/81089 as pdf documents. The application deadline is January 18, 2021 and the position will remain open until filled. Required materials include:
- A cover letter describing academic qualifications, research interests, and experience for this position with reference to your experience and teaching effectiveness. Applicants’ statements should detail how their teaching, service and/or scholarship has supported the success of students from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in their academic field; applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experiences should note how their work will further UW Tacoma’s commitment to equity and inclusion. Applicants are also encouraged to highlight ways in which they might contribute to the urban-serving mission of the campus.
- A curriculum vitae.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g. copies of student evaluations)
- At least three letters of reference.
- A sample research paper
Questions can be directed to the chair of the search committee, Haluk Demirkan, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or protected veteran status.