Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
Salary and Terms: Full-time, nine month* tenure track position. Salary placement is commensurate with education and experience
Appointment Date: August 16, 2021
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin January 19, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
SMSU's Assistant Professor of Exercise Science and Director of the Twin Cities Program is a full-time, tenure track faculty position located at partner Minnesota State Community College (CC) campuses in the Twin Cities. Responsibilities include: Teaching face-to-face sections on multiple campuses and online sections of introductory and upper-division courses in Exercise Science including but not limited to: EXSC100: Anatomical Kinesiology, EXSC488: Professional Communication, EXSC480: Principles of Training and Conditioning, EXSC475: Capstone Research, EXSC360: Athletic Enhancement, Human Performance, & Exercise Leadership, and EXSC490: Exercise Prescription. Other courses will be assigned based upon need and the candidate’s specific areas of academic preparation. This position also carries a significant number of EXSC499: Professional Practicum students each term (~15-30 students each fall, spring, and summer).
The expectations of a full-time SMSU faculty member are defined in the Minnesota State-IFO Agreement, which include effective teaching, as well as engagement in scholarly and creative activity, continuing preparation and study, contribution to student growth and development, and service to the SMSU and greater communities. Participating fully in the activities and programs of SMSU's Exercise Science program, including the role of Director of the Exercise Science Program in the Twin Cities is required.
The nature of the Twin Cities program also requires significant coordination and direction between each of the four campuses involved. These duties include, but are not limited to: 1) communication, coordination, and cooperation with the each campus’ Deans Office and Administration regarding contractual agreements, course scheduling, and faculty assignments; 2) identification of Exercise Science adjunct faculty and coordination of hiring with the SMSU Dean; 3) collaboration between faculty on four campuses to maintain consistent curriculum delivery; 4) ensuring financial aid consortium agreements are given and understood by the students, then received and processed by each CC financial aid office; 5) communication with each CC 2-year advisor to ensure each student has the information needed to complete their degree plan(s) for both the 2-year and 4-year programs; 6) cooperation with marketing and/or partnership offices at each of the CC’s to ensure successful promotion of the SMSU Exercise Science program, including participation at promotional events (recruiting events, open houses, etc.); 7) recruitment of community college students for the Exercise Science Program, as well as transitional advising.
Qualifications: Qualified candidates for SMSU's Assistant Professor of Exercise Science position are required to meet the following expectations:
- D. in Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Motor Control or another Exercise Science related field. Consideration will be made for applicants who are expected to receive their terminal within one year of appointment.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment; demonstrated ability to teach and work with persons from diverse backgrounds to ensure all students receive an equitable educational opportunity.
- Demonstrated evidence of teaching excellence and pedagogical knowledge in the discipline and specialization associated with the position.
- Strong written and oral communication
- Ability to perform and supervise research that involves undergraduate students.
- Student-centered approach to education and a commitment to helping grow the Exercise Science Program.
- Training or education in Exercise Physiology and ability to teach applied advanced courses.
- Demonstrated ability/competence in instructional technology and on campus/online/hybrid teaching methods.
- Experience in directing a multi-site location college or university Exercise Science program.
- An understanding of and appreciation for liberal education.
The University: Southwest Minnesota State University is one of seven universities in the Minnesota State system. SMSU gives highest priority to excellence in teaching and preparing students to be lifelong learners through quality undergraduate teaching/advising and close student/faculty relationships. Its mission, dating back to 1967, provides access to university-level programs in liberal arts & professional studies. The University has a special commitment to the educational needs of the people in its service region reflected through its curricula, cultural programs, diversity of staff and students, cooperative relationships with the public and private sectors, and regional institutions. The 216-acre campus encompasses 24 modern, interconnected, and accessible buildings. Marshall (pop. 13,000) is the hub of a rich agricultural area and offers a variety of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The position is an opportunity to be part of a vibrant, dynamic and growing institution that is searching for exceptionally talented people.
Application Data: Letter of application addressing position qualifications, vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, student evaluations, and transcripts should be attached to your application. To apply, please complete the application at http://smsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/1554 Additional information on Southwest Minnesota State University can be found at: www.SMSU.edu
*Nine Month Appointments- Along with all other Universities that are part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, standard faculty appointments are for 168 duty days distributed over any nine consecutive months. The nine months need not align with the traditional academic year and may be changed every two years. Initial faculty appointments at SMSU are expected to be similar to or the same as the academic year unless otherwise indicated on the vacancy notice.
Southwest Minnesota State University is a member of the Minnesota State system and is an equal opportunity educator and employer. SMSU is committed to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. SMSU does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Women, diverse populations and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be able to lawfully accept employment in the United States. Requests for reasonable accommodation of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Affirmative Action Office, 507-537-6208. For TTY communications, contact Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529. This vacancy notice is available in alternative format upon request.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bloomington
- Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bloomington
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bloomington