Reporting to the Operational Technology Application Support Specialist, the Systems Technician provides technical guidance and support for Virginia Tech Electric Service computing systems including the Customer Information/Billing System, Customer web portal, Meter Reading system, and the Meter Calibration system as well as interfacing with VPAS for support of desktop systems. Performs analytical and programming functions in the maintenance and enhancement of existing programs; analyzes and resolves production system problems; tests all system software enhancements before moving to production system; writes, modifies and tests custom reporting to provide information necessary for management and business operations; and documents system modifications. Provides consultative services and training throughout department relating to the systems supported and reporting.
• Master's degree in business, information technology, or related area, OR education and experience that equates to a Master's degree.
• Experience in administering system upgrades and enhancements.
• Experience in analysis of customer needs.
• Basic knowledge of SQL and/or relational database systems.
• Knowledge of software such as MS Access, Crystal Report Writer, and/or general office software.
• Ability to write technical system documentation.
• Ability to work well with others and to communicate effectively.
• Ability to work with detail, independently, and with minimal supervision.
• Must be able to safely move and handle items weighing up to 35 pounds.
• Experience working with billing and metering systems.
• Experience implementing software including working with consultants, completing RFPs, testing system functionalities, suggesting improvements, and proposing solutions to meet user needs.
• Experience working with customer web portals.
• Experience training users in system operations.
February 1, 2021
• Work is primarily performed in an office environment and involves considerable sitting and repetitive motion through the use of a computer.
• Must have ability to safely handle and move up to 35 pounds.
• Must be able to bend, reach, stoop, push, and pull.
• May need to work additional hours outside of normal schedule to meet the needs of the department.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 10, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Technology Administration/Other Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg