Dean for Faculty Affairs
Dean for Faculty
Harvard Medical School
The Dean for Faculty Affairs (DFA) of the Harvard Medical School (HMS) is responsible for providing the strategic leadership, oversight, planning, and implementation of all aspects of the faculty promotions and appointments process within HMS and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine. This leadership position is viewed as the key advisor and consultant to faculty, department heads, and affiliated hospital leadership on career development, promotions, appointments, retirement, and other issues related to faculty status. Effective and responsive communication across HMS, Harvard University, HMS hospital affiliates, and other external constituents is critical to success in this role. Reporting to the Dean for Clinical and Academic Affairs, the DFA must exhibit strong leadership through the management of expectations related to the criteria and evaluation of academic promotion/appointment processes.
The DFA is responsible for oversight of communications regarding—and implementation of—the existing and future policies and procedures of faculty appointments and promotions, as well as the implementation of recommendations as an outcome of decisions made through the Council on Academic Deans (CAD). They oversee the implementation and utilization of effective systems and trusted data sources to inform decisions and track progress towards goals.
The DFA is responsible for operational leadership and assurance that the correct skills, talent, and capacities exist within the Office for Faculty Affairs (OFA) to include program directors, coordinators, information technology experts, and support staff. The DFA must-have skills to manage and improve end-to-end processes successfully within the OFA with excellence in understanding process management.
Excellence in the faculty promotions and appointment process includes a service orientation and requires dedication to prompt, respectful, and sensitive responsiveness to the community.
The DFA works in collaboration with the Office for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership to respond to and support compliance with federal guidelines regarding affirmative action in hiring and to support the faculty development and professional advancement of faculty members from groups that are underrepresented in medicine.
Candidates with a record of diversity-inclusion-related work are encouraged to apply. HMS is keenly interested in diversifying its faculty and faculty leadership and encourages applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds, including women and individuals from racial and ethnic minority, LGBTQ and disabled groups.
The DFA works with the standing and administrative/ad hoc committees that address faculty concerns, including the Faculty Council Docket Committee, Faculty Council, Clinical Department Executive Committees, and Faculty of Medicine meetings. They serve as senior advisor to the dean, department chairs, and faculty for issues related to promotions and career development. The DFA chairs the promotions, reappointments, and appointments (“P&R”) committees. In addition, the DFA is responsible for setting the agenda of meetings of the CAD and the Subcommittee of Professors.
The DFA works closely with HMS leadership and collaborates with the Quad Department Chairs, Executive Dean for Administration, and other senior leadership to manage the life cycle of ladder faculty in the Blavatnik Institute on the Quadrangle.
The DFA works through collaboration and partnership in leadership and organization of fellowship programs for junior faculty.
The HMS DFA is a member of a larger community of faculty affairs deans at Harvard and interacts closely with the central university. The HMS DFA must develop and maintain relationships with parallel faculty affairs offices.
- M.D., Ph.D. (in a biomedical or other clinically relevant discipline), or M.D./Ph.D. degree (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated record of substantial accomplishments in academic leadership and commitment to excellence in research, clinical care, operations and/or education and in faculty development
- An academic rank of Associate or Full Professor at HMS or at another medical school or significant faculty development leadership experience with other academic rank
Additional Qualifications and
Progressive leadership experience in academic settings is highly desirable. Senior level administrative experience in a complex medical and scientific environment is strongly preferred. Demonstrated commitment and experience with process improvement are essential. Statistical and data analytic skills and highly developed systems knowledge and experience are highly desirable. The candidate must be highly skilled in all aspects of communication (written, interpersonal, and presentation), relationship building, conflict management, and problem-solving to achieve successful outcomes. To the position, they must bring intelligence, judgment, diplomacy, honesty, candor, empathy, personal attention, confidentiality, sensitivity, responsiveness, dependability, accessibility, trustworthiness, a service orientation, and a capacity for and record of accomplishment. A sense of humor is a desirable qualification. They must be a person who earns great respect from his or her team and constituents and has a strong moral compass and ethical approach. She/he must be caring and hard-working, selflessly dedicated to the faculty, and, having been grounded by experience serving on a medical school faculty or within Faculty Affairs, highly attuned and sensitive to the faculty experience and responsive to faculty needs. To realize the potential of all the talented professionals within the OFA, the new DFA must be skilled in delegation to others on their team and value autonomy.
Working effectively within a culture inclusive of individuals with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations, and appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals.
Interested applicants should upload a CV as well as a cover letter that includes a summary of the applicant’s qualifications for the position, vision for the position, and diversity statement. Application deadline is January 31, 2021.
Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa
sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Faculty & Student Services
USA - MA - Boston
FS0063 Academic Affairs Director
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Credit, Criminal, Education, Identity
35 hrs. per week | Monday - Friday | 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston
- Faculty Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston
- Deans Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston