Assistant or Associate Tenure-Track Professor and Area Coordinator in Graphic Design
With one of the most diverse student populations in the country, Georgia State University is an enterprising R-1university located in the heart of downtown Atlanta committed to recognizing and being inclusive of diverse perspectives, talent, and career interests. As a national leader in using innovation to drive student success and research growth, the university provides its world-class faculty and more than 50,000 students unsurpassed research, teaching, and learning opportunities in one of the 21st century’s great global cities. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report ranked Georgia State as #3 in Most Innovative Schools, #3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching, and #9 in Top Performers on Social Mobility among national universities.
The Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design is part of the College of the Arts, which was established in 2016 and also includes the School of Film, Media & Theatre, the School of Music, the Center for Collaborative & International Arts (CENCIA), and the Center for Educational Partnerships in Music. In addition to offering some of the university’s most popular majors, the college connects faculty and students with Atlanta’s active design community, thriving arts scene, and expansive film and music industries.
As part of a multi-year hiring initiative across several disciplines, the School of Art & Design seeks to hire an Assistant or Associate Tenure-Track Professor in Graphic Design. The ideal candidate will play a central role in the School’s contributions to Georgia State’s strategic goals of highlighting the arts and media as vital to the quality of all major cities and demonstrating that students from all backgrounds can achieve academic and career success at high rates. Our faculty take advantage of design facilities in the greater Atlanta area, such as the Museum of Design Atlanta, the Robert C. Williams Museum of Papermaking, the HP Graphic Arts Experience Center, National Center for Civil & Human Rights, and the Atlanta chapter of AIGA. Faculty also utilize campus resources for their research and student mentoring, including the ExLab (makerspace), the Creative Media Center (CMC), and the Creative Media Industries Institute (CMII). Opportunities for support include intramural research grants, Welch Faculty Fellowships, summer research grants, teaching release time, graduate research assistants, travel funds, and assistance in pursuing external funding.
The upper division Studio/Graphic Design concentration has approximately 40 majors and graduates an average of 20 BFAs each year. The 3-year MFA in Graphic Design typically has 4-5 students and graduates 1-2 MFAs each year. This faculty position is a full-time appointment with an anticipated start date of August 2021. Tenured candidates or candidates currently eligible for tenure may be considered for tenure upon hire.
This position is unique in that the selected candidate will serve as the Graphic Design Area Coordinator and take an active leadership role in shaping the future of Graphic Design within the School of Art & Design. The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated investment in teaching diverse student populations and a willingness to integrate their design specialization(s) into the Graphic Design curriculum, from fundamental courses through graduate thesis completion. A successful candidate will think of design broadly and wish to cultivate cross-disciplinary opportunities throughout the university to expand the model for design education within a research institution. They should also be an active scholar and/or practitioner who is engaged in the critical dialogue, examination, research, and advancement of their design field(s).They will assist with curriculum and program development for Graphic Design, advise students, and lead BFA reviews. They will assist with graduate recruiting, lead MFA reviews, and chair MFA thesis committees. They will participate in the professional and academic work of the university, including committee service to the department, college, and university.
- Terminal degree (e.g. MFA or PhD or equivalent) in Graphic Design or related design discipline.
- Leadership experience.
- Current active research and/or creative practice.
- 5+ years of successful teaching experience.
- A distinguished record of prior accomplishment in design.
- Evidence of innovative teaching to diverse student populations within university undergraduate and graduate design programs.
- Knowledge and application of contemporary design theories and pedagogy, including Interactive and Motion Media.
- Strong skills in one or more of the following areas: UI/UX design, responsive web design, mobile application design, mobile interface design, creative coding, 3D animation and motion graphics, and service design.
- An active record of distinguished client projects, publications, and/or exhibitions, with an understanding of how design can address contemporary social issues.
- A record of active participation and/or leadership roles in professional design organizations or academic organizations.
Salary Range: $60,000-80,000 (commensurate with experience)
Please submit three separate PDFs, as described below, to email@example.com either through email or through direct-download (such as WeTransfer). Complete applications will include:
- PDF #1: All TEXT documents in this order:
- A letter of application addressing the essential and preferred qualifications, and your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion through research/creative activity, teaching, and service
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three syllabus examples (intro level, upper level, and graduate level if available) with clear project descriptions and course calendar
- Names, email addresses, telephone numbers, and titles of at least three references
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, submit all materials by January 17, 2021. Should you be recommended for a position, an offer of employment will be conditional on background verification and the submission of three hard-copy letters of recommendation.
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class. As a campus with a diverse student body, we encourage applications from women, minorities, and individuals with a history of mentoring under-represented minorities.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track $70,000 - $89,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track $70,000 - $89,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Design & Graphic Arts Tenured/Tenured Track $70,000 - $89,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track $70,000 - $89,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Teacher Education Tenured/Tenured Track $70,000 - $89,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta