Staff Counselor - Black/African American Focus
The Cook Counseling Center provides mental health services to the student community of Virginia Tech. The Staff Psychologist/Counselor works with a multidisciplinary staff of counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, nurse practitioners, psychology interns, psychiatry residents, and practicum students to deliver services that maintain the highest standards of professional and ethical care. In 2019, the strategic plan for Virginia Tech, “The Virginia Tech Difference: Advancing Beyond Boundaries) integrated inclusion and diversity as a key university priority. A part of this plan is to increase the recruitment of underrepresented students to 25% of the entering class for 2022 with the goal of closing the graduation gap for these students. Cook Counseling Center supports the academic mission of the university and has focused upon growing the multicultural competence and ethnic and racial diversity of the counseling staff. The goal for this position is to further our work with marginalized students as we better understand the lived experiences of Black and African American students on this campus. We are particularly interested in hiring an individual with knowledge and experience of working with Black and African American males. The ideal candidate will provide brief, multiculturally-sensitive counseling for individuals, groups, and couples with diverse clinical concerns. The individual will also work with partners across the university to develop and provide culturally informed outreach and prevention services as well as partner with others on staff to provide trainings for other staff members. This position will also conduct crisis interventions as needed during after hours emergency on-call rotation.
• Master’s Degree in counseling, psychology, social work, or family therapy with two years of experience OR PhD or PsyD in Clinical or Counseling Psychology with APA approved internship
• Experience in providing focused therapeutic interventions
• Training and experience in delivering culturally competent interventions
• Interest in and experience with Black/African American males
• Experience and interest in working with international students
• Experience or interest in working students from under-represented populations
• Strong commitment to social justice and issues of diversity
• Licensed or eligible for licensure within 2 years
January 4, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Rita Klein at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: December 7, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Counsellor Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Social Work & Human Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg