Reporting to Virginia Tech's Director of Compliance and Conflict Resolution, the Equity Manager will aid the Office for Equity and Accessibility (OEA) in overseeing university compliance with several equal opportunity and civil rights laws and regulations for Virginia Tech programs and activities located in the Greater DC area and surrounding areas in the Commonwealth. The position will directly support the Civil Rights and Conflict Resolution unit within OEA and will serve as a liaison for other units within OEA to ensure all civil rights policies and procedures are followed.
Responsibilities of this position include:
• Serve as a point of contact and liaison for members of the VT community located in the greater DC area for concerns related to harassment, discrimination and conflict resolution
• Provide consultation to faculty, students, and staff on university policy and procedures related to discrimination and harassment
• Work collaboratively with the leadership within OEA to ensure implementation of policies and procedures is accurate; serve as a liaison between the greater DC area employees and students and OEA to ensure individuals are connected to appropriate resources for matters pertaining to ADA, Title IX, and affirmative action
• Respond to internal complaints filed under the university’s non-discrimination and anti-harassment policy (policy 1025) by conducting a prompt and thorough investigation, which includes: identifying and interviewing witnesses, gathering and securing relevant documentation, and identifying other information. The investigator acts as a neutral party and provides a detailed, unbiased report regarding the findings of the investigation.
• Assist the Assistant Director for Education Outreach and Conflict Resolution in providing training to the campus community on university policies pertaining to harassment and discrimination; assist in providing professional development programs and workshops on conflict resolution
• Provide conflict management coaching to individuals experiencing workplace based conflicts
• Assist in delivering outreach and prevention education programs
• Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree and significant related experience that relevant experience
• Knowledge of civil rights laws with the ability to identify areas of noncompliance
• Experience conducting investigations
• Demonstrated judgment with the ability to manage highly sensitive and confidential information;
• Demonstrated skills in the areas of conflict resolution, problem solving techniques, interviewing and investigation;
• Demonstrated ability to use analytical skills and the ability to assess and negotiate complex, highly sensitive situations; exceptional critical thinking skills demonstrated by the ability to analyze information, evaluate results, and facilitate resolution of difficult challenges, including the ability to handle issues of complex and extreme sensitivity;
• Demonstrated skills in writing concise, logical analytical reports to convey complex issues;
• Ability to maintain neutrality and work under stress;
• Experience delivering workshops and trainings focused on civil rights, prevention education, or conflict resolution
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and success in working with diverse constituencies, both domestic and international, to support an inclusive campus environment;
• Strong and effective interpersonal skills;
• The ability to listen well and demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for individual need;
• Ability to establish and maintain professional and productive working relationships with employees at all levels at the university;
• Juris Doctorate degree
• Experience in an office of discrimination and harassment prevention is highly preferred
• Experience developing civil rights compliance and prevention education programs
• Professional experience conducting investigations in a university setting;
• ATIXA or other recognized certification as an Investigator
• Experience providing mediation, alternative dispute resolution, or conflict coaching
$85,000 - 95,000
January 11, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: December 8, 2020
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Human Resources Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Legal Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.