Assistant/Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Assistant/Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, &
Arts & Sciences
William & Mary seeks applications for the position of Assistant/Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion for Arts & Sciences.
Founded in 1693 and located in historic Williamsburg, Virginia, William & Mary (W&M) is the nation’s second oldest university and has spanned five centuries. Our traditions include the founding of Phi Beta Kappa and adoption of the first Honor Code. The breadth of Arts & Sciences comprises eleven graduate programs, dozens of undergraduate majors and minors, and research centers and administrative offices that serve the academic mission. Our academic program delivers a liberal arts education to every undergraduate student at W&M.
The Assistant/Associate Dean will have broad oversight of current, substantive DEI initiatives with the authority to envision, strategize, advocate, implement, and document processes, initiatives, and measurable actions leading toward greater diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). The primary focus is faculty/staff and curricular DEI initiatives within Arts & Sciences, with additional opportunities to collaborate across the university. The Assistant/Associate Dean works directly with the Dean of Arts & Sciences and the A&S senior leadership team and serves on the faculty/staff Committee on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
• Oversee and coordinate DEI strategic planning and plan implementation for Arts & Sciences, collaborating with the Dean, the senior A&S leadership team, and faculty leadership to envision, strategize, advocate, implement, and document processes, initiatives, and measurable actions leading toward greater diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout A&S.
• Represent A&S on the William & Mary Diversity & Inclusion Council to prioritize and coordinate efforts across the university.
• Plan and manage DEI education and training, and deliver training to A&S faculty and staff.
• Coordinate and support faculty recruitment and retention to include the IGNITE Future Faculty Program.
• Coordinate recruitment programs for graduate students in partnership with other schools.
Required with application:
• CV or resume
• Cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position
• A short statement describing a real or possible faculty-level innovation advancing DEI at an academic institution (500-750 words).
Review of applications begins on January 11, 2021. Applications received after that date will be reviewed only if deemed necessary by the search committee.
This is a dual posting. Applicants may apply to the position that best reflects their qualifications, either FP992W (professional) https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/40153 or FA036W (administrative faculty) https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/40152. Only one application to either position is necessary. We plan to fill one of the two positions with the most qualified applicant for that position.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching, and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment.