Part-Time Peer Mentor, Tutor-State
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Tomball
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Tomball, located north of Houston and founded in 1988, offers a wide range of programs including the college system’s only veterinary technology program and leading health sciences programs.
Campus address is 30555 Tomball Parkway, Tomball, TX 77375.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
This position will assist college students with academic tutoring and/or mentoring. As a tutor, the position performs student interventions that are focused on increasing completion of degrees or certificates. Required to provide high level of information. May interact one-on-one with students. May interact with a high volume of customers. Will work with and assist diverse groups.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Tutor, act as scribe and proof read
- Provide general information related to the department
- Record maintenance, preparation and review of forms, data entry
- Provide handouts and/or forms to customers
- Set up Financial Aid equipment (such as go-center computers)
- Event preparation and support
- Maintain knowledge of multiple programs
- Provide limited technology support to end users
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Customer service
- Interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Communication skills (written and oral)
- Working knowledge of general office procedures and practices
- Proficiency with one or more office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Ability to take lecture notes
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High School diploma or GED
- Must be a currently enrolled Lone Star student pursuing a course of study
Hourly Pay Rate is
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Tomball
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Tomball
- Adult & Continuing Education Programs Not specified Part Time jobs in Tomball
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Tomball
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Tomball