MAIL PROCESSING ASSISTANT
- Sort all incoming mail and packages as carriers (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL) make daily deliveries. Attain and maintain working knowledge of departmental locations, as well as student residence halls and apartment buildings, and the mail service facilities which serve them.
- Attain and maintain knowledge and proficiency in processing outgoing departmental mail and packages for USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL, including metering letter and flat mail, and using specific applications to prepare shipments per each carrier’s policies, regulations and standards. Maintain accurate records of outbound mail and shipments. Assist departments needing help tracking outbound shipments.
- Attain and maintain proficiency in operating a cloud-based package tracking system (SQBX) for both departmental and student packages. Use both PC and mobile handheld devices to: receive, deliver, and modify or correct records; provide customer support by performing searches, and answer questions regarding mail/package status; resolve processing errors or other issues; and investigate mail/packages with insufficient addresses to determine correct recipient.
- Drive mail service delivery vehicles to perform: daily pickup/delivery routes to departmental locations; transport student mail and packages to appropriate distribution locations; assist students with transporting large/heavy packages as needed; perform additional pickups or deliveries for departments as needed.
- Provide general assistance to the Mail Service Manager as requested. Participate in special projects as assigned.
High school diploma; must have strong organizational skills, and strong interpersonal skills emphasizing customer service. Solid experience using a desktop computer (PC) to perform common tasks, especially internet and email. Experience using Word/Excel, or equivalent, is beneficial. Experience using mobile computer (smartphone/tablet equivalent) is beneficial. Ability to follow written and verbal directions. Ability to lift up to 70 pounds is required. Must possess a valid N.Y. State driver's license while meeting the requirements of the college’s Risk Management Office. Experience driving a delivery vehicle (minivan and light duty box truck) is beneficial (no special certification required). Experience sorting and processing mail/packages, as well as retail experience handling cash, check and credit card transactions is preferred, but not required.
Most of the work of the incumbent is carried out within generally accessible, safe indoor and outdoor environments. The incumbent will be required to travel to various locations on campus for the distribution/delivery of mail and other similar packages and may be exposed to inclement weather conditions during delivery of mail. The incumbent may be exposed to dirt, dust, fumes, ink and other elements while working in the mailroom. The incumbent will be required to operate equipment involved in the processing of mail and will be required to lift materials weighing up to 70 pounds.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca