Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Reports to: Vice President of Operations and Administration
No. of position: 1
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Vacancy #: AF-Int-44-2020
Position Announcement close date: The position is open until filled
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The AUAF’s Finance is seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time position as a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) based in Kabul.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is directly responsible for all matters pertaining to the management and operation of accounting, strategic financial planning and budgeting, any audit and tax interactions, financial policies, procedures, applicable regulatory compliance, internal controls, student financial aid, and financial information systems. The CFO reports to the Vice President of Operations and Administration and regularly advises the President, and the Board of Trustees Finance Committee accordingly.
The CFO has overall responsibility for the accounting and finance of the AUAF. S/he helps to promote a customer-oriented service attitude and serves as the executive officer directly responsible for providing leadership and general management of the entire accounting and financial functions.
The CFO is responsible for continuously monitoring, evaluating and communicating the financial status of the AUAF so that the information may be acted upon promptly and effectively. The CFO is also responsible for related security of assets including cash and similar financial instruments, revenues, cash flow, receivables, facilities, equipment, bank relationships, contracts, agreements, intellectual property, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises the President, senior University administration officers, and members of the Board of Trustees on issues relating to the financial status of the University by reporting financial information at Board of Trustees meetings, and by preparing reports, recommendations, findings, and other correspondence as required.
- Facilitates an effective working relationship with donor officials by ensuring University compliance with applicable fiscal policies and accounting procedures, maintaining open channels of communication with appropriate government officials, facilitating an exchange of information on these subjects, and implementing all relevant applicable policies regarding fiscal operations.
- Ensures compliance with professional accounting standards, rules, regulations, and laws by directing, supervising, and facilitating the preparation and maintenance of required and appropriate financial records, monthly and annual financial reports, and all other financial reporting as may be required by AUAF donors, government agencies, or established accounting standards.
- Responsible for making sure the Universities ERP system and related modules are as efficient and effective as possible for all accounting and financing requirements and internal and external reporting.
- Facilitates the governance of the University by providing financial information to the Board of Trustees and implementing the Board’s decisions under the direction of the President through the establishment of policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Collaborates with the Director of Procurement and Head of Internal Audit in the annual audit solicitation process.
- Prevents institutional liability in financial operations by facilitating access of the independent auditors and providing requested records during the conduct of the University's annual financial audit.
- Ensures compliance with the institutional mission of the University by working with unit heads to develop and review unit plans, goals, and objectives, assuring development of effective business processes incorporating automation with appropriate technologies, designing systems of effective controls to guide work toward expected outcomes, and evaluating progress towards their accomplishment.
- Ensures that the financial operations of the university have the resources necessary to provide financial information to support the academic program, such as preparation of financial reports and the development of funding and cost recovery models that support innovation and growth.
- Leads the University in the annual budget development with applicable cost center budgeting.
- Enables finance employees to perform their assigned tasks by overseeing the preparation and implementation of the annual budget for financial services and oversees training that may be required.
- Supervises and manages the Finance Office team. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current by reading professional journals and literature, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as appropriate.
- Works collaboratively with the advancement staff in fund raising and investment reporting.
- Ensures that miscellaneous assignments related to finance are completed in the best interests of the University by accepting and accomplishing all other tasks assigned by the President and Vice President of Operations.
- Exercises delegated signatory authority to contractually bind the University in legal agreements. Administers such University contracts in a manner that ensures contractual obligations and intents are fulfilled.
- Provides liaison to various offices of USAID and other offices, including relevant ministries, related to financial matters, contracts, and cooperative agreement.
- Maintains knowledge and assures compliance with University policies and procedures including, but not limited to: compliance, accreditation, and other regulatory requirements.
- Perform other job related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Certified Public Accountant or Chartered Accountant.
- Knowledge of current International Financial Reporting Standards.
- At least twelve (12) to fifteen (15) years of comparable financial management experience with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience of leading the finance unit, in an institution of higher education or similar organization. Experience working in developing countries in turnaround situations preferred.
- Strategic knowledge of ERP systems, preferably, Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains.
- Expertise in USAID Cooperative Agreements, compliance and reporting.
- Knowledge of financial management, administration, reimbursement, and financial reporting are required.
- Experience of restructuring finance departments including IT software.
- Knowledge of Afghanistan legislative acts that relate to accounting, taxation and overall fiscal operations and management High level user of standard business computer systems and accounting. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP, preferred.
- High degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision making and being able to analyze situations accurately and taking effective action as needed.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of managers, regulators, payers, contractors, auditors, tax consultants, vendors, customers, students, etc.
- Financial management skills, including the ability to analyze data for budgeting, cash management, operations, auditing, account receivable and reserve analysis.
- Staff Management and Leadership skills.
- Skill in identifying and resolving accounting and financial issues/problems.
- Skill in evaluating operations as they relate to operational and financial performance.
- Ability to prepare professional level reports and present effectively in writing and orally.
- Ability to negotiate effectively.
- Ability to be a high-level contributor to teams, committees, and task forces and demonstrate a collegial and respectable affect in all work and relationship.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability and willingness to delegate effectively and to hold direct reports accountable.
- Strong skills in communications and interpersonal relations.
- Ability to multi-task.
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to work at a developing university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a very comprehensive benefits package some of which are detailed below;
- Competitive base salary
- Post Hardship allowance (when in Afghanistan)
- Mobilization package (flights and shipping allowance)
- International health care insurance
- Visa and work permit
- Attractive R&R and leave package
- Living accommodation on AUAF campus
Afghanistan is classed as an austere environment and can be very challenging. Applicants should expect high levels of safety and security which will involve movement restrictions. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, applicants who can perform a combination of both remote and physical on site working MAY be considered.
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants. If you are asked for a recruitment fee or offer employment in exchange for money, kindly bring this to our attention using email account firstname.lastname@example.org providing the details.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their personal safety and security in Afghanistan.
To apply, please send as a single PDF or Word (doc.) format: a cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV), to email@example.com Please, include Vacancy#: AF-Int-44-2020-Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in the subject line of the email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. This position is open until filled. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.