Assistant Professor - Interior Design
Be part of the Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design’s growing faculty at Georgia State University, an enterprising R-1university in Atlanta. Our next Assistant Professor in Interior Design will play a central role in the Welch School of Art & Design’s contributions to Georgia State’s strategic goals of highlighting the arts and media as vital to the quality of all major cities and demonstrating that students from all backgrounds can achieve academic and career success at high rates. Atlanta is the premier design center in the Southeast and offers our students a broad range of employment opportunities with many of the nation’s largest firms and local design powerhouses. Our faculty members frequently collaborate with and utilize professionals from the metro area in their coursework and review sessions. Faculty also utilize campus resources for their research and student mentoring such as: the ExLab (makers space), the Creative Media Center (CMC), and the Creative Media Industries Institute (CMII). Opportunities for support include intramural research grants, Welch Faculty Fellowships, summer research fellowships, teaching release time, graduate research assistants, travel funds, and assistance in pursuing external funding.
Georgia State University is a national leader in using innovation to drive student success and research growth. The university provides its world-class faculty and more than 50,000 students unsurpassed research, teaching, and learning opportunities in one of the 21st century’s great global cities. In 2020,
U.S. News & World Report ranked Georgia State as #3 in Most Innovative Schools, #3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching, and #9 in Top Performers on Social Mobility among national universities.
This position will join two other permanent faculty in Interior Design and take an active leadership role in shaping the future of Interior Design within the Welch School of Art & Design. The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated investment in teaching diverse student populations and a willingness to integrate their design specialization(s) into the Interior Design curriculum, from fundamental courses through graduate thesis completion. A successful candidate will think of design broadly and wish to cultivate cross-disciplinary opportunities throughout the University to expand the model for design education within a research institution. They should also be an active scholar and/or practitioner who is engaged in the critical dialogue, examination, research, and advancement of their design field(s) with an aim and dedication to achieve tenure within six years.
The Welch School of Art & Design is part of the College of the Arts, which was established in 2016 and also includes the School of Film, Media & Theatre, the School of Music, the Center for Collaborative & International Arts (CENCIA), and the Center for Educational Partnerships in Music. In addition to offering some of the university’s most popular majors, the college connects faculty and students with Atlanta’s active design community, thriving arts scene, and expansive film and music industries. The upper division BFA in Studio/Interior Design concentration has approximately 60 majors and graduates an average of 20 BFAs each year. The 3-year MFA program in Interior Design typically has 3-5 students and graduates 1-2 MFAs each year.
This is a full-time tenure-track appointment with an anticipated start date of August 2021.
This full-time tenure-track Interior Design Assistant Professor will be expected to maintain an active research and/or scholarship practice. They will teach both undergraduate and graduate courses in Interior Design, including graduate design seminars, practices studios, and MFA thesis courses. They should expect to ultimately provide leadership as Interior Design Area Coordinator and contribute to the growth of the design area within the Welch School of Art & Design. They will assist with curriculum and program development for Interior Design, advise students, and lead BFA reviews. They will assist with graduate recruiting, lead MFA reviews, and eventually chair MFA thesis committees. They will participate in the professional and academic work of the university, including committee and other service to the department, college, and university.
- Terminal degree (e.g. MFA, M.Arch, PhD, or equivalent) in Interior Design, Architecture, or related design discipline.
- An emerging record of accomplishment in design research and practice.
- Ability to teach a broad range of digital design platforms such as AutoCAD, Revit, AdobeCS, and Sketchup.
- Knowledge and application of contemporary design theories and pedagogy.
- Evidence of innovative teaching to diverse student populations within university undergraduate and graduate design programs.
- Technical proficiency in CAD/BIM software and hardware systems endemic to design practice.
- Strong skills in one or more of the following areas: commercial design, 3D product, or furniture design.
- An active record of distinguished client projects, publications, and/or exhibitions, with an understanding of how design can address contemporary social issues.
- A record of active participation and/or leadership roles in professional design organizations or academic organizations.
Salary Range: $60,000-65,000
Submit three separate PDFs for this job application to email@example.com either through email or through direct download (such as WeTransfer). Complete applications will include:
PDF #1: All TEXT documents in this order:
- A letter of application addressing the essential and preferred qualifications, and your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion through research/creative activity, teaching, and service
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three syllabus examples (intro level, upper level, and graduate level if available) with clear project descriptions and course calendar
- Names, email addresses, telephone numbers, and titles of at least three professional references
20 images of personal work that are clearly labeled and described
20 images of student work that are clearly labeled and described with relevant assignment and course information (Title_Medium_Dimensions_Year Completed)
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, submit all materials by January 17, 2021. Should you be recommended for a position, an offer of employment will be conditional on background verification and the submission of three hardcopy letters of recommendation.
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class. As a campus with a diverse student body, we encourage applications from women, minorities, and individuals with a history of mentoring under-represented minorities.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Art Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Design & Graphic Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Atlanta