Coordinator, Veteran & Military Services (Academic Coordinator)
Coordinator, Veteran & Military Services (Academic Coordinator)
Department: Veterans Affairs
Location: Wellesley Hills
MassBay fosters educational excellence and academic success to prepare students for local and global citizenship, to meet critical workforce demands of communities and to contribute to region’s economic development.
Massachusetts Bay Community College values diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply to join our community.
Located in Greater Boston, MassBay is a comprehensive, open-access community college, offering associate degrees and certificate programs on three campuses in Wellesley Hills, Framingham, and Ashland, Massachusetts.
The ideal candidate will join a vibrant and inclusive educational community, and have a desire and ability to work with a diverse population.
The candidate will coordinate the educational services and benefits provided to veterans, reservists, active duty personnel and their family members; interpret and implement policies and procedures; oversee certification of veteran educational benefits and the Veterans' Resource Center, manage caseload and coordinate activities pertaining to academic advisement for veteran, reservist, and active duty students; as well as maintain knowledge in the college curriculum, academic policies, and advising tools; work closely as a team member in Advising to provide advisement to all students.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Work one-on-one with students to create a warm and welcoming environment for student veterans, reservists, and other military personnel;
- Serve as the College’s lead veteran resource; maintain up-to-date knowledge of each benefits program and associated regulations and procedures; provide support and training for faculty and staff regarding VA academic policies;
- Advise students regarding educational benefits programs available through the US Department of Veterans Affairs, the armed services, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, about the academic programs offered at the college;
- Work with the Massachusetts State Approving Agency for Veterans’ Education to ensure that all MassBay programs meet the state education requirement for GI Bill® use;
- Provide comprehensive academic advising to all student veterans; assist students in selecting appropriate major or field of study particularly concerning the use of GI Bill®; develop academic plans of study;
- Monitor course enrollment and academic progress and maintain detailed and accurate records, in accordance with Federal regulations and directives of VA regional office;
- In addition to assigned caseload, assist with general academic advising in the center including new student orientation and peak enrollment periods;
- Work with deans and department heads to develop resources/procedures for improving veterans’ achievement;
- Supervise Veterans Advocate/Coach and VA student veteran workers;
- Participate in VA and Massachusetts SAA Training;
- Counsel students as to their rights and responsibilities under the various programs, and the recommended processes for gaining full and timely benefits;
- Troubleshoot issues of late or incorrect benefits payment; advise students of the effect on educational benefits of various academic actions;
- Initiate the certification process for Federal educational benefits for eligible students, drawing upon detailed knowledge of VA regulations and College academic programs, ensuring that all courses certified are eligible for payment;
- Work collaboratively and strategically with College offices, academic departments, and other offices as a resource and advocate in troubleshooting administrative challenges on behalf of veterans, active duty military personnel, reservists, and dependents;
- Provide support to students with a wide variety of psychological and physical disabilities, working collaboratively with Accessibility Resource Center staff, and facilitate referrals to campus and community resources where appropriate;
- Compile data and reports to complete annual military friendly surveys;
- Arrange on-campus military recruiter visits; cultivate and maintain relationships;
- Schedule and conduct meetings and coordinate the activities of the campus Veterans Support Team, and serve as Advisor to MassBay's Student Veteran Club;
- Coordinates veteran and military activities on campus
- Perform administrative tasks associated with department activities.
This list is not to be considered all-inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties as required to meet the needs and foster the mission of the College.
All employees of MassBay are expected to work collegially and collaboratively within a community that values and celebrates diversity.
Minimum Training & Experience
Master’s degree in Education, Counseling, Sociology, or closely related field; with five (5) years experience and/or training that includes academic advisement, academic placement, counseling, career development, math/electronics teaching, or program/project management; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Sensitivity and commitment to the goals of Affirmative Action and workforce diversity;
- Experience working in a diverse environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved students;
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft and VA-ONCE;
- Veteran Preferred.
Education: Masters Degree
Salary Range: Starting salary of $61,138.00. In accordance with qualifications and experience and subject to classification and the collective bargaining agreement.
The appointment salary is based on one's education and experience as dictated by the collective bargaining agreement classification compensation structure.
Classification: MCCC Professional Staff
Deadline: December 11, 2020, or after that until filled.
Final candidates are required to provide sealed transcripts and/or certifications.
Hiring is contingent upon a successful CORI clearance.
Massachusetts Bay Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s for Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, Lisa MacDonald, Director of Equity Compliance, firstname.lastname@example.org, (781) 239-3147, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wellesley